Suspension comparisons - 450's 100% better?

DieselTech

Ok, I've been reading alot of posts about the Banshee's suspension, and how bad it sucks in stock form. I've read all about installing YFI've heard alot of people recommend to others that are contemplating upgrading thier Shee's suspension to just sell the Shee & go get a 450. I haven't ridden any of the 450's, but a friend of mine has and he thinks they aren't as good as other people think they are. What's the deal? I'd like to hear some opinions that have some type of actuall substance to them (in other words, back up your claims with some real examples instead of just what you think).

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.......I asked for replies that had substance to them, and I get smart-a$$ remarks. Thanks for helping me understand. I ask this question because I'm contemplating sinking some money into my 'Shee's suspension. Also, I find it strange that I have yet to bottom my stock suspension on 4-5' of air, but I saw a picture of a guy on here last night that bottomed his on 4' (and he's running YFZ shocks up front and weighs 135lbs - I'm 175lbs).

Personally, I don't think that the stock suspension is as bad as everyone tries to make it sound, and I don't think that the 450's are as good as everyone thinks they are - they just have alot more adjustability that the Banshee (which is 19 years old and virtually unchanged, mind you). To me, 4-strokes are for less-skilled riders (b/c they are easier to ride), and 2-strokes will always be able to produce more power for the same displacement.

Ok, let the smart-a$$es reply.............

YFZ shocks are a step up from stock, but they aint the shit. I've got a yfz and the ride is better, but its still shitty. Suspension is the best mod you can do for any bike, but it'll cost ya. My $.02 is to do it right the first time and get some TCS.

There are many variables when it comes to jumping. My thinking is that you are landing properly with your stock shocks from that 5' of air. Think about the difference it makes when you land a jump right vs. when you come nose down and land on a whoop or something. A flat landing on the rear tires will be much smoother than a flat landing on the front wheels. That's just my .02. By the way I NEED better shocks!

Ok, I've been reading alot of posts about the Banshee's suspension, and how bad it sucks in stock form. I've read all about installing YFI've heard alot of people recommend to others that are contemplating upgrading thier Shee's suspension to just sell the Shee & go get a 450. I haven't ridden any of the 450's, but a friend of mine has and he thinks they aren't as good as other people think they are. What's the deal? I'd like to hear some opinions that have some type of actuall substance to them (in other words, back up your claims with some real examples instead of just what you think).

493526[/snapback]

It depends on what kind of riding you do. If you're into jumping a lot, then you"ll see a big difference between stock 'shee & 450 suspension. You"ll also see a big difference on a packed MX track. I've got an '04 450 & it's not plush by any means, it's firm & will take a pounding.

I ordered triple rate works for my last 'Shee & really liked the improvement over stock. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Wow.......I asked for replies that had substance to them, and I get smart-a$$ remarks. Thanks for helping me understand. I ask this question because I'm contemplating sinking some money into my 'Shee's suspension. Also, I find it strange that I have yet to bottom my stock suspension on 4-5' of air, but I saw a picture of a guy on here last night that bottomed his on 4' (and he's running YFZ shocks up front and weighs 135lbs - I'm 175lbs).

Personally, I don't think that the stock suspension is as bad as everyone tries to make it sound, and I don't think that the 450's are as good as everyone thinks they are - they just have alot more adjustability that the Banshee (which is 19 years old and virtually unchanged, mind you). To me, 4-strokes are for less-skilled riders (b/c they are easier to ride), and 2-strokes will always be able to produce more power for the same displacement.

Ok, let the smart-a$$es reply.............

493606[/snapback]

Everybody in here gave you a reasonable reply..... I am a huge smart ass... but I was actualy trying to take this topic somehwere... hoping you would reply with something other than you did.... I can think of 5 threads off hand were this has been discussed at length... Go head and type in "long travel" in the search... Or do you know how to use it? . I have BOTH a 450 and a 'shee.. yes... the 450's are 300times better than the 'shee at doing anything but going in a straight line...I would be more than happy to help you out but this is a LOOOOONNGG discussion... If your going to be a prick to anybody that replies you can go find your help somewhere else :flush: ...

Mike

Here's kinda a run-down on some popular suspension brands in order of ride quality (some might argue w/ me on these) 0-10 scale.

Stock - 0

YFZ's - 2

works - 3

elka - 6

tcs - 8.5

axis - 10

There's others out there but those are some of the more common ones. Works has a new line out that I haven't had the chance to ride yet but I'd imagine they'd fall either just above or just below elkas.

The 450 shocks are still gonna be shittier than even some cheap-o works.

Here's kinda a run-down on some popular suspension brands in order of ride quality (some might argue w/ me on these) 0-10 scale.

Stock - 0

YFZ's - 2

works - 3

elka - 6

tcs - 8.5

axis - 10

There's others out there but those are some of the more common ones.  Works has a new line out that I haven't had the chance to ride yet but I'd imagine they'd fall either just above or just below elkas.

The 450 shocks are still gonna be shittier than even some cheap-o works.

493726[/snapback]

Matt, Mark my words.. in a year... ohlins and progressive will be the top dogs in the suspesnion dept... Followed by PEP then AXIS.... I'm glad somebody agrees with me about the yfz shocks... why would you spend the time to take off your front end.. grind it all up.. just to put some stockers back on :confused: ....

I've seen the progressives in action... It's like poetry in motion...

Mike

Definately good to hear Tx! I'm just rating based on what I've had the chance to try out. I have heard alot of good things about Pep and Ohlins. I guess the yfz shock swap makes sense if you have no money to spend but want an upgrade. But yeah...they're like trying to polish a turd.

I got to try the elka's out at the dunes this past weekend, remember I just got the reacreational setup (the cheapo's). Anyhow the dunes were torn to shit rough as fuck... I was blasting out across them thinking to myself it sure looks rough, but I wasn't feeling shit.. My .o2 the elka's made a hell of a difference. There was even one point during the weekend that I was playing on a dune face with a buggy, he kept leaving those foot deep ruts, the elka's soaked them up.

Afew times blasting off thru the trails I got sideway and the front tire hit the side bankment and normally I would have been fucked again the elka's saved my ass.

The whoops they were sweet I just need to take time and adjust my rear stocker and whoops would be better..

Alot less upper are pumping.. I would say my rider fatigue was cut 50-75%..

Not sure if the shocks had anything to do with my thumb cramp or not but I don't remember once stopping cause of a sore thumb....

Me and my bud went thru 45 gallons of gas in the shee's that's a shit load of riding!

B)

Well worth the $800 I spent on shocks and the +2 a-arms!

DieselTech when

I took my front stockers out I measured them, they are the same length as the elks' I just got, so I am thinking that the new shocks would work on the stock a arms.... :shrugani:

All shocks are gonna be the same length unless you go with a 19" long travel.  The difference is in the spring and the valving.  That's how shock companies setup shocks for stock arms, +2 arms, 100lbs riders, 250lbs riders, etc...

493741[/snapback]

Just little info: You see manufactures like walsh/pep, roll/elka etc... Well the a-arms are actually designed around those shocks... Like my axis are 19'' so I run JRD.... Elkas are 20''... Some are 20 1/4''... PEP are 19 1/2'' etc...

Mike