34mm Mikuni Flat slides

apelfy

Just built my first Banshee and went a little crazy on it. Mods are NOSS head with 19cc domes 80 over wiseco pistons. Trail port on intakes, exhaust and timing ports. K&N filter with K&N air box lid. Adjustable timing plate at 5 degrees advance. V-Force 3 reeds. Bill's thunder exhaust. I just ordered a set of Mikuni 34mm flat slide TM carbs and have no idea where to start with the jetting. I've jetted the stock carbs to 340 mains and 30 pilots and it runs great once you get it rolling but floods out on idle. Any help on where to start on new carbs,(main jets, air jets, Neelde jets,pilot jets) would be greatly apreciated. Oh yeah elevation at 700 feet.

I'm a pro on the 34mm Mikuni's (NO JOKE), Start with a 310 main, 50 pilot, needle on the second clip from top, and 1 1/2 turns out on the air screw....this should be the exact settings for your elevation and setup (port job).....Casey

thanks everyone! Carbs and intakes should be here this week I'm planning on starting with 310's and 50's but if that does'nt work I've got pairs from 280 through 340 and I've also got a set of 30's so I'll up date you next Sun. on what I works best. If anyone wants a set of stocks with Tor's eliminator kits installed minus the cable I'll be pulling them off.

Edited by apelfy

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys, shortly after posting was riding a trail I've rode a hundred timed and a tree had fallen which after bailing off quad and landing on a pile of broken concrete caused me to be laid up for a couple of weeks. After nearly healing put on the carbs and was planning on fabricating an adapter for the airbox when some old man blew a red light and t-boned my work van and has had me laid up again. When I heal hopefully I'll be able to dial her in. It sure does sound mean as hell though.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck.

I have the Mikuni flatslide TM 34mm's. Right now for with my +4mm stroke cheetah cubs I run 35 pilots, airscrews 2 turns out, P8 needle jet orafice (dump tube) (2 sizes smaller than what comes stock in the TM 34's - Q2), and I run the needle on the top clip, I may need to go one step leaner on the dump tube, and 330 mains. Still breaking in the motor and fine tuning the jetting. When I had the dune port stock cylinders and +4 crank I ran a 310 main and needle on the second clip from the blunt end. My shee starts first kick, and starts easy with the choke when cold and idles purrrrfect.

I would go with a 30, 32.5 or 35 pilot, P8 or P6 dump tube, and a 300 main for starters. The trickiest thing about jetting the TM 34 Mikuni is getting the correct needle jet orafice and a needle setting. The needle jet orafice that comes with the TM 34's is a Q2 and it is waaaaaaay to rich even with the needle on the first clip from the top which will make it bog like a SOB at part throttle.

The following link shows a list of the available needle jet orafices from lean to rich.

http://www.sudco.com/cat32/56-58.pdf