Custom Axis

Wallrat

I'm looking at rear shocks and I'm either going TCS rebuild or Axis. Obviously I'd rather go Axis but its a bit more $$$.

I was checking out Axis' site as well as K&K and it seems like they only make the dual adj. single rate rear in XC or MX. Also, K&K didn't seem to have options available for my weight and my +2 swingarm. Maybe they do but its during the checkout process. I'm mostly a dune rider but I do like jumping alot.

So my question for those of you running Axis is: Do they have other valving options available? Also, what's the best price you've found? K&K is $820.

I've already called Axis but haven't gotten called back yet.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately go with Elka Elite Dune Edditions :P

MX shocks tend to sag a bit, but then again you were telling me you were going to get the TCS shocks with the self sag anywyas.

Self Sagging are best for the dunes, or hitting whoopsand the combination of things....You lose some travel, but they will be nice and soft in the chop.

On shocks like TCS ALOT of the High speed dampening is used up just for Chopp in the dunes. They do valve their shocks well though, but you can't fine tune them to your needs.

Which is why I went with the elka elites with dune valving, it uses special valving to take the chop and ALSO dampen hard hits, You should give my bike a ride and see how you like them now that I have A-arms that don't smack my rezzies, I really can't see it getting much better.

you can adjust them for cornering (low speed adjustment) like an MX shocks and use the High speed adjustment to get a median between chop and taking big blows. I have a feeling the Dune Valving is make a huge difference in being able to set them up for both.

Hell they even have a new elka with a 5th adjustment, which allows you to adjsut the crossover point between the High and low speed valving. A bit complicated for me thouh.

I would definately get Axis over the TCS though!

Edited by Justintoxicated

Matt,

In that case check my post in the Product review forum, I will not be sending my shock back to TCS for another rebuild.

I guess if you get TCS fronts they will likely be similar to my rear, plan on rebuilding them every year (or every 6 months like they recomend). They told me resevoirs or not the oil they use just goes bad after a year, it does not matter if you have extra oil in the shock resevoris or not.

Maybe all shocks are like this but my stock ones lasted alot longer than one season.

BTW I did not get teh SCC I woudl imagine that with less travel it would have gone bad even faster.

Ok so according to Blaine: One of the head dudes over at Axis did leave, and the company was purchased 4 years ago by Penske. However, they're still putting out probably the best shock in the ATV industry.

Justin - Blaine recommended talking w/ Joe from www.atvsuspensiontech.com

He's the owner of the site and the biggest distributor of TCS. He also deals w/ Axis :clap:

Blaine said he never had a problem but he changed his oil every season. Course he had the tooling as well as the nitrogen available for him to do that. Check w/ Joe about the rebuild and he might have a better rate. He says all high-end shocks should be maintained once/year because carbon builds up in the oil and significantly degrades performance.

I'm looking at rear shocks and I'm either going TCS rebuild or Axis.  Obviously I'd rather go Axis but its a bit more $$$.

I was checking out Axis' site as well as K&K and it seems like they only make the dual adj. single rate rear in XC or MX.  Also, K&K didn't seem to have options available for my weight and my +2 swingarm.  Maybe they do but its during the checkout process.  I'm mostly a dune rider but I do like jumping alot.

So my question for those of you running Axis is:  Do they have other valving options available?  Also, what's the best price you've found?  K&K is $820.

I've already called Axis but haven't gotten called back yet.

487338[/snapback]

We do a rear rebuild for $385. It can be dual rate or single depending on your riding style. The oil issue that some are talking about will be the same no matter what shock you go with. The best oil is $30. a liter so most builders don't use it unless it is requested. The top builders from Axis that left are now at Ohlins USA.

Here is a review of our shock by an HQ member:

"I gotta say this shock is badass!! I have tried three different shocks..stock, axis, and the stock one that Shane built. Of course everyone knows pretty well what a stock shock performs like. I also tried an Axis custom shock, not 100% set up for me though. That was a huge improvement over stock. Then i was able to try Shane's shock. What a difference!! I dont know exactly what he does to the inside of the shock, but it must be some kind of magic!! The Axis shock would be pretty unpredictable through some tight deep whoops. Bounce up one way kick the other, it was not easy to stay on the gas. When I put Shanes shock on, it was a much needed improvement. It let me open the throttle up for most of the time going through the whoops. Granted it was still a rough ride, but much more predictable, a quite a bit smoother, and a pleasure to ride!!"

We are a dealer for TCS, Elka, Ohlins, Houser, Laegers, Lonestar, RAD and AC.

Come visit us at wolfpackracing.com

Shane

We do a rear rebuild for $385. It can be dual rate or single depending on your riding style. The oil issue that some are talking about will be the same no matter what shock you go with. The best oil is $30. a liter so most builders don't use it unless it is requested. The top builders from Axis that left are now at Ohlins USA.

Here is a review of our shock by an HQ member:

"I gotta say this shock is badass!! I have tried three different shocks..stock, axis, and the stock one that Shane built. Of course everyone knows pretty well what a stock shock performs like. I also tried an Axis custom shock, not 100% set up for me though. That was a huge improvement over stock. Then i was able to try Shane's shock. What a difference!! I dont know exactly what he does to the inside of the shock, but it must be some kind of magic!! The Axis shock would be pretty unpredictable through some tight deep whoops. Bounce up one way kick the other, it was not easy to stay on the gas. When I put Shanes shock on, it was a much needed improvement. It let me open the throttle up for most of the time going through the whoops. Granted it was still a rough ride, but much more predictable, a quite a bit smoother, and a pleasure to ride!!"

We are a dealer for TCS, Elka, Ohlins, Houser, Laegers, Lonestar, RAD and AC.

Come visit us at wolfpackracing.com

Shane

487609[/snapback]

Was the custom axis shock brand new because from the sound of things even a few trips on it and your going to notice a petty negative difference on anything but a brand new shock...Not to mention it sounds like he jsut put it on his banshee and did not tune it, a few clicks on the adjustments makes a pretty noticable difference through the whoops.

Just curious, not saying you do not do good work, But it does not seem right that you should have to re-adjust the shocks almost every trip because the oil is wearing out. I would imagine it is best to fork out your $500 every year to rebuild them all but i don't know anyone who actualy does this for recreational riding.

Well umm uhh except for Dunedeamon... :D

Justin your crazy... having your rear shock serviced should not cost more than 80 bucks which includes new oil. I have not noticed my rear shock getting any worse than when I had it rebuilt a few seasons ago. It could be that your nitrogen has been leaking out slowly (would be your luck huh) and that could be why you feel that your shock is in need of a rebuild. Matt I will be having my rear shock serviced hopefully before the next dune trip and I plan on having the spring changed out again to something that will work with the +6. If you would like to save a few bucks and buy my spring off me I'll make you a deal on it. It is an Eibach spring.

Was the custom axis shock brand new because from the sound of things even a few trips on it and your going to notice a petty negative difference on anything but a brand new shock...Not to mention it sounds like he jsut put it on his banshee and did not tune it, a few clicks on the adjustments makes a pretty noticable difference through the whoops.

Just curious, not saying you do not do good work, But it does not seem right that you should have to re-adjust the shocks almost every trip because the oil is wearing out.

Edited by Shane

Matt:

Catch up with me next week after I get back from Dumont or maybe I'll give you a shout over the weekend. I can give you the FULL story on Axis (rumors, truth, fact) and I will explain a few more things to you. I'm not about to debate anything on here regarding suspension. Im sure you understand why. I'd hate to irritate the sand in someones vaginal cavity :)

your # end with 8656? If I dont call you tonight I'll try over the weekend (while at the dunes) hehe :)

Walt

Matt:

Catch up with me next week after I get back from Dumont or maybe I'll give you a shout over the weekend.  I can give you the FULL story on Axis (rumors, truth, fact)  and I will explain a few more things to you. I'm not about to debate anything on here regarding suspension. Im sure you understand why. I'd hate to irritate the sand in someones vaginal cavity :)

your # end with 8656? If I dont call you tonight I'll try over the weekend (while at the dunes) hehe  :)

Walt

487737[/snapback]

I was gonna put my .02 on this until I saw your post <_< ... Walt you make me feel dumb when it comes to suspension talk :notworthy: ....

On a side not.. Matt, I love my axis... the only thing I would even consider over these is PEP big clicks or possibly the new ohlins.....

Mike