New throttle cable and bike stuck wide open

I just put on a new throttle cable because the old one broke inside the throttle assemby. I rode the bike for about 7 minutes and it worked fine. Then the bike wanted to die when ever I let go of the throttle. Then I reved it high and let go of the gas but the bike continued to rev out the roof. I turned the engine switch to off but it kept going, I turned the key off and took it out but it kept going so i let the clutch out in a high gear and it died. I am going o check the bike tonight after dinner. Any suggestions?

I had the same similar prob after replacing my cable. I had to keep adjusting it to where the slides were just right. Also, make sure that the cable is routed correctly. It might be binding or too much tensiion on cable and pulling slides up thus keeping it running even with the key off.

I had the same similar prob after replacing my cable. I had to keep adjusting it to where the slides were just right. Also, make sure that the cable is routed correctly. It might be binding or too much tensiion on cable and pulling slides up thus keeping it running even with the key off.

484595[/snapback]

That would be my guess. When I replaced my stock cable, it would bind when I turned so far. Like DIRTMAN said, also check to see if your Carbs are synched.

shouldn't the kill switch or key kill the spark of the plugs? how would it keep running? :confused: it should just die with no spark. sounds like you have more problems than just a throttle cable. :confused:

I agree, your cable is probably binding up on something and holding itself open. As for the bike not shutting off, sounds like your compression might be too high for the gas you are using. it is exploding before the plugs even spark, so it's keeping itself running. Hard to tell though. Double check your eletrical connections & stuff. My little red button hasn't worked since i got my bike, I just re-wired my own kill switch into the plastic up by my radiator. Works fine for me.