Toomey TR6 with Hush Kit,

K&N,

Shaved Head,

+4Advanced Timing,

lightened flywheel.

Main Jet: 310

Pilot: 27.5

Needle/Clip: 4

Before I purchased my TR6 pipes I was running FMF Fatty's with the same jetting and the bike was perfect. I searched here for a diffinitive answer as to how the T6s would run with my set up. I found everything from they will not work at all to they are the best pipe ever. Well, I finally got to ride the bike yesterday for a couple hours at the dunes. Taking into consideration I have not been on a bike (Banshee or KX) since early August 05 and had a little riders rust here is my evaluation.

Conclusion: With my set up these pipes absolutely rock. They are without a doubt different than my FMFs. The best way I can describe is as follows, the FMF pipes pulled strong but were smoother. They had a strong hit but the power kind of flowed on. With the TR6 pipes the hit is much more explosive :bolt: . The low end on the TR6 pipes improved over the T5s but I can not say if it is as good as my old FMF pipes. I have friends who have both T5s and Fattys so eventually I will be able to do a bike to bike comparison at the same time instead of relying on impressions from several months ago.

The sand was really soft and heavy. I was able to sample trails, hill climbs and some open dune riding. I was pleased with the pipes in every aspect and would reccomend them to anyone who rides the dunes.

I see the TR6 pipe topic pop up quite a bit with the same questions, should I, how do they compare to FMF, what about T5's etc. This is my opinion so take it for what it is worth but I would by TR6 pipes again.

RJV :cheers:

TR6BansheeII.jpg

good info....

Everyone says they run harder with stock ports...When ported they aren't as good..

470830[/snapback]

I had been told that and that any modification to the engine, including changes in compression by shaving the head or changing the domes could cause the performance to suffer greatly. Likewise I had been told that advanced timing would cause the pipes to falter. Whats amazing is that for every person that said that there seemed to be another who said the opposite.

Even more interesting is that 99% of people with opinions said they had heard that someone had heard that someone said that the pipes were no good. Thats why once I rode with them I wanted to post here as a person who has extensive experience with the FMF and (in my opionion) has some basis for my statements.

It was a tough choice but I am glad I went witht he TR6 pipes. I love the way they look. The smooth bend is clean looking. The performance is top notch.

RJV

I had been told that and that any modification to the engine, including changes in compression by shaving the head or changing the domes could cause the performance to suffer greatly.  Likewise I had been told that advanced timing would cause the pipes to falter.  Whats amazing is that for every person that said that there seemed to be another who said the opposite. 

Even more interesting is that 99% of people with opinions said they had heard that someone had heard that someone said that the pipes were no good.  Thats why once I rode with them I wanted to post here as a person who has extensive experience with the FMF and (in my opionion) has some basis for my statements. 

It was a tough choice but I am glad I went witht he TR6 pipes.  I love the way they look.  The smooth bend is clean looking.  The performance is top notch.

RJV

470844[/snapback]

the t-6s performed better with every mod I did including port work.they perform great through the whole power band.the have a hard hit at the bottom and keeps pulling through the top. some pipes will be better and some worse, for a alaround great pipe t-6s rock.

:bolt:

WoW good first hand info...

lets gets some more people in here to talk about their experience...

like i said before everything I have heard is biased toward they wont perform well with ports or increased compression...

i would love to see a dyno comparison....But i doubt anyone has one...

EDIT: does that hush kit make a difference in power?

Edited by 1.6i

EDIT: does that hush kit make a difference in power?

470964[/snapback]

I feel no difference in power. I have ridden both with and without with T5s and T6s and The bikes perform perfectly. If you actually put them on a dyno I dont know what it would show, "but seat of the pants" test show no real difference. Toomey claims an increase in top end power with the Hush Kit.

RJV

ill put in my $.02. For stock bikes, T-6s, For ported, strokers, big bores, etc. T-5s. i built a stroker with T-6 and the guy wants me to (once i get my shee, hopefully this weekend :headbang: ) get T-5s and trade him. i calling bull shit on the trade b/c im going to buy the same stroker kit and then i can do a test to see which runs better. :cheers:

All I will say is that before I bought pipes I did a fair amount of research. I called Toomey and they told me much the same as what people often mention on here. The T6's were designed around a stock engine, and if you planned on any internal modifications you were better off with the T5's. Now, I know there are many wizards out there when it comes to porting and matching that to the pipe, so I don't doubt that someone out there knows how to port a T6 bike and make it perform great. I agree it would be interesting to see a modded engine with T5's and one with T6's. Who knows? But the designer of the pipe claims better results with 5's...?? :shrugani:

My opinions are based on a non-ported bike. I can not say how a ported machine would run. Want to make sure people who are reading this in the future understand that.

I just wanted people to know that with some of the more mild mods, timing advance, milled heads/domes and lightened flywheel the pipes work great and if you want a harder hit than FMF but dont want a drastic loss of low end the TR6 is a viable option, especially those who don't see a port job in the future. But as 2003Limited said, as time goes on I am sure those guys who port will find the magic combo to make the TR6 as good as the T5s.

PS: I talked with one of the Toomey guys before I made my purchase as well. He said my mods would affect how the pipes performed. What he could not say is if it would be a negative or positive result. He said, in regard to the shaved head, "if it doesn't work well it is an easy fix." I was hoping for a more definitive answer. Well now I have one, the pipes work awsome with higher compression. (mine is milled to about 19 degrees).

I have the TR6 pipes with porting, carb, head 19cc and SRP reeds and I think my bike runs great...Others have rode it and like how the power comes on early and revs out hard and farther than stock......have not tried it with T-5's so I can not give a comparison....Just an FYI...D

Just to confirm what has been said too, we have tried them on stock port, ported , and radically ported strokers. They worked well on all but on the more "radical" ported bikes they felt alittle flat on top and the CPIs took care of that. They are made for stock or midly ported bikes. Dont be afraid to have some porting done with T6s as they will make you smile!!!! :clap: Great all around pipe if you keep port durations lower, just not a pipe for drag porting !

Just to confirm what has been said too, we have tried them on stock port, ported , and radically ported strokers. They worked well on all but on the more "radical" ported bikes they felt alittle flat on top and the CPIs took care of that. They are made for stock or midly ported bikes. Dont be afraid to have some porting done with T6s as they will make you smile!!!! :clap:  Great all around pipe if you keep port durations lower, just not a pipe for drag porting !

471451[/snapback]

That is what I wanted to hear. Thanks. I don't want a drag bike, I want a Dune bike. And with what I have at this point, with the addition of the TR6 Pipes I think the 'shee is as close to perfect in every dune situation as it can be. Its good to know that if I ever want a mild port job, the pipes will take it. Thanks for the input.

RJV

I have had T-5 pipes, CPI inframes and TR6 pipes and they were all a little different.

The current Banshee had CPI inframes on it when I got it and I HATED it for duning. There was no low/mid grunt just a hard hit at the top end and a lot of noise compared to other pipes.

So I decided I wanted either T-5s or TR6 pipes instead and decided to get the TR6 pipes since I already had T-5 pipes before on my previous Banshee and wanted to try something different

At the time my Banshees were both running stock porting, +4 timing and 21cc domes with K&N filters. When I bolted on the TR-6 pipes it felt a lot like the old T5 pipes with a nice strong midrange pull through to the top. Overall I felt the TR-6 pipes were the best pipe I'd tried and really like the smooth power and good midrange. Plus I like the better construction of the TR-6 compared to the T5 pipes - namely the better mounting and better fit of the TR-6 pipes.

Now that I have a ported bike I am kind of wishing I would have went with the T-5 pipes because I can feel that the TR6 pipes aren't revving out as high as the old T-5s did. I did some GPS speed tests and the TR6 PORTED Banshee is slower by 2 mph than the T-5 NON-PORTED Banshee was (but it gets up to speed a LOT faster). TR6=80 mph vs T-5=82 mph. Both had stock gearing. 2 mph on top end is not a big difference and I only mention that to illustrate about the TR6 pipes not revving as high as the old T-5s.

Before I was ported I would run close to my friends Banshee give or take a bike length here and there. Now with porting and TR-6 pipes I am pulling 1 gear higher on every hill and beating him by several bike lengths so if the TR6 pipes are holding me back it's really not by all that much.

With the porting I just have a lot more power everywhere from mid-range up and I don't feel as though the TR6 pipes are hurting me until I get up to the top RPM ranges.

There's my report... FWIW.

I have had T-5 pipes, CPI inframes and TR6 pipes and they were all a little different.

The current Banshee had CPI inframes on it when I got it and I HATED it for duning. There was no low/mid grunt just a hard hit at the top end and a lot of noise compared to other pipes.

So I decided I wanted either T-5s or TR6 pipes instead and decided to get the TR6 pipes since I already had T-5 pipes before on my previous Banshee and wanted to try something different

At the time my Banshees were both running stock porting, +4 timing and 21cc domes with K&N filters. When I bolted on the TR-6 pipes it felt a lot like the old T5 pipes with a nice strong midrange pull through to the top. Overall I felt the TR-6 pipes were the best pipe I'd tried and really like the smooth power and good midrange. Plus I like the better construction of the TR-6 compared to the T5 pipes - namely the better mounting and better fit of the TR-6 pipes.

Now that I have a ported bike I am kind of wishing I would have went with the T-5 pipes because I can feel that the TR6 pipes aren't revving out as high as the old T-5s did. I did some GPS speed tests and the TR6 PORTED Banshee is slower by 2 mph than the T-5 NON-PORTED Banshee was (but it gets up to speed a LOT faster). TR6=80 mph vs T-5=82 mph. Both had stock gearing. 2 mph on top end is not a big difference and I only mention that to illustrate about the TR6 pipes not revving as high as the old T-5s.

Before I was ported I would run close to my friends Banshee give or take a bike length here and there. Now with porting and TR-6 pipes I am pulling 1 gear higher on every hill and beating him by several bike lengths so if the TR6 pipes are holding me back it's really not by all that much.

With the porting I just have a lot more power everywhere from mid-range up and I don't feel as though the TR6 pipes are hurting me until I get up to the top RPM ranges.

There's my report... FWIW.