Problem with tranny?

Hey guys,

Im new to the forums, but have been a long time reader. First off, I'd like to say you guys are great. Now onto my problem. Last weekend I went out to the dunes after advancing my timing 4 degrees(my bike made me feel like this: :bolt: )

It was amazing, however, somehow I got into some trouble. I went drag racing up the hill, all felt/sounded great...then came downshifting at the top. It would not happen. I rocked back and forth, went through all the normal steps of trying to shift, etc. still nothing. It was either down for 3rd(solid, would not go down anymore or ratchet back) or up for 4th(solid, would not go up anymore or ratchet back.) I continued riding thinking that if the tranny was shot, I might as well get a days of riding in. I was just hoping someone on here could give me a little advice as to what it may be, and possibly cost..being a college student, that means the diff between me riding this winter or not. Thanks for any advice, I know you all are very knowledgable.

And if I could possibly strike up interest in Boonman to message me, I would like to get costs on shift star and flywheel mods.

Thanks, Jon

i had this happen alot.you may want to pull off the clutch cover.in there,you'll see a little hook that grabs onto your shiftstar to change gears,what happen is the hook missed the pin on the shift star and is stuck between shifts,all you need to do is move the hook back on top of the pin and you'll be back to the regular sequence,try to push the hook in torwards the tranny to prevent it from coming off again.oh ya the hook is directly connected to the shift shaft.hope this helps :evil::evil::evil:

Thats what happened to me last weekend, stuck in 3rd, shifter felt funny. Took off clutch cover, hook on end of shaft had slipped off the shift star pins and jammed. Not so sure about the washer fix, there's not much clearance for the shaft to move side to side. The plastic spacer on the shaft keeps it from moving too far to the left. A boss cast into the clutch cover keeps it from moving to the right. The only clearance is the thickness of the gasket.(maybe 1/32"). That's not enough to cause the problem, the hook is about 3/32".

The arm on the shaft must flex enough to let the hook slide off the pins. A friend with a history of breaking stuff was riding at the time, but he was wearin sneakers, not boots!!

Anyways, heres what NOT to do: DON'T try to bend the arm or hook!!! I thought i'd open the hook up enough to get to the middle of the pin, instead of just barely catching the end of the pins. Just started to bend when, CRACK !, oh hell, guess I'll be ordering a new shaft tomorrow. :cry:

Maybe the new shaft will catch the pins better, but I doubt it, sounds like this is a pretty common problem.

Got the new shift shaft, it has a crack on it too! The guy at the dealership offered to get another one, but I suspect they are all like that. The hook is bent pretty tight. Has anybody noticed this before? I'll try to link a picture.

dcp2236sm3fe.th.jpg

I'm certainly not going to use the old one, cause I heard it crack, but I didn't notice if it was visible before I tried to bend it. The new one makes me nervous. has anyone had the hook break? Major damage if a piece got into the primary drive!!

Talked to Jeff at F.A.S.T. Racing, he had several new shafts and they all had small cracks, guess that just how they are. I shouda got one from him, he mods them for more throw and has a different spring for the indent. I'll try the spring for now.