Anyone here a Civil Engineer?

not fields are deployable... i'm not.  most are though, and unfortionately, CE deploys alot.  Not sure about any other branch, but the Air Force deploys for 90 days at max for most fields, except if there's extreme circumstances, then they can extend up to 180 days.  If college is already paid for, then do that, but if not, i'd rather have the extra money... on top of getting paid to learn.  Just me though.

422440[/snapback]

How can you be in the Air Force and say that they only deploy for 90 days max mostly? The Air Force has went to minimum 120 days and mostlikely 180 deployment. I am a civil enginer in the Air Forre and yea you get sent alot. I have done 6 months in Kuwait, 3 in Iraq and 5 in Afghanistan. And if your to worried about "where you have your toys", and not wanting to move, or go anywhere like the places i mentioned, Thank dont consider the military, keep your pansy ass at home and sponge off mommy and daddy as long as you can, Not only would you not fit in with any AFSC in CE but hell, IF I had it made at home why leave?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havnt lived at home sense my senior year in high school, if it matters to you I still moved out when i was in high school and now I make $55,000 a year but it isnt cutting it for me with my life style and I would enjoy a college education and make double that. I dont feel like floating on a stupid shit for a few years.

Isn't OU the school where the kid blew himself up a few days ago?

<_<

422568[/snapback]

ya, but my hatred has ben around much longer than since that incident the other day. which was very f**ked up. anyone know what happened? i hadnt even heard of it until earlier today.

ya, but my hatred has ben around much longer than since that incident the other day.  which was very f**ked up.  anyone know what happened?  i hadnt even heard of it until earlier today.

422601[/snapback]

I read about it over the weekend. Some kid just committing suicide.

He didn't take anyone with him. Just blew himself up outside of a foot ball stadium.

I read about it over the weekend. Some kid just committing suicide.

He didn't take anyone with him. Just blew himself up outside of a foot ball stadium.

422658[/snapback]

I'm not sure why that wasn't a bigger deal? He blew himself up during the game and it's like it's not a news story? In some respects I'm glad they don't seem too bothered by some dumbflower blowing up but in other respects it's a little troubling that most don't even know.

As far as Civil Engineering find a reputable school. I got my engineering degree at Iowa State I had a friend that got hers at Iowa State also then went on for her doctorate at Cal Tech, she turned down MIT in doing so. The point is if you have any plans of doing something on top of the degree don't get it from Joe Blows overnight degree company.

I havnt lived at home sense my senior year in high school, if it matters to you I still moved out when i was in high school and now I make $55,000 a year but it isnt cutting it for me with my life style and I would enjoy a college education and make double that. I dont feel like floating on a stupid shit for a few years.

422582[/snapback]

yeah ....... it doesnt

Damn right! I just transferred to ISU as an ME major.

422714[/snapback]

Sweet, I was actually an Ag Engineer since I wanted to work on off-road machinery. I recommend taking some electives in the ag dept if you get a chance tractor power was a pretty good class when I was there, you get to tear apart diesels and put them back together again and start them up. The ag dept also has some dyno's you can play with. The baja car team or whatever the ME's have was also very interesting. I work as an ME now building cranes but in actuallity the work I do is more specific to the ag curriculum than anything else structural, mechanical, electrical, hydraulic is all my cup of tea.

How can you be in the Air Force and say that they only deploy for 90 days max mostly? The Air Force has went to minimum 120 days and mostlikely 180 deployment. I am a civil enginer in the Air Forre and yea you get sent alot. I have done 6 months in Kuwait, 3 in Iraq and 5 in Afghanistan.

422571[/snapback]

Wow... i guess you're tha man... my bad. I was just looking at my Air Forre AEF ID card that I was issued last year for my AFSC just in case they decided to make us deploy in a pinch, and it had my AEF as a max of 90 days. If the Air Force has went to a minimum 120 days, I've been unaware of it and apologize for not receiving the memo... which had made you doubt my involvement in the Air Force. I guess the radiation from the nukes I work with on a daily basis has been messing with my brain. I guess my third testicle is the least of my worries now. :yank:

I have a Civil Engineering degree from CSU Chico. "Chico State" is how it is refered to locally. CSUC has a very good civil program. Another school I'd recommend in CA is CSU Cal Polly in San Louis Obispo. It took me 5.5 years to get my so called "4 year BS degree" and that was going to school full time every semester and working part time. I can't immagine even trying to take 145+ engineering units through online courses. Probably the reason your not finding any online Engr 4 year degree courses is because it would be impossible. A 4 year engineering degree is like a masters degree in most other fields. Hows your math skills?, because you'll be taking 4 semesters of Calculus, 2 semesters of physics, 1 chemistry, computer programming, dynamics, statics, thermodynamics, material science, strength of materials, 2 semesters of surveying, ect. ect., those are just the pre-requsites for the real stuff where you get insane time consuming semester projects on top of the typical 2-4 hour daily homework per coarse and the 3-5 midterm tests and a 1 ball busting final exam.

However, I don't want to discourage you from getting a degree, I just don't think there is another way besides commiting 4 to 5 years of going to college. I have found that you can make a pretty decent living on a 4 year engr degree and no need to get a Masters unless you want to go into some sort of cuting edge research or specialize in a very specific field. Civil Engineers I know and work with start at around $40K right out of school and make $60-100k after 3 to 6 years. This is in CA of coarse.

You won't get a quality engineering degree online. Period. Getting an engineering degree is not something that you can do part time, unless you want to spend eight years doing it. In the long run you are better off sucking it up financially for four years and focus on the degree while working a part time job, then you will be able to get a good paying job and will quickly make up for the four years of low pay. Just my $0.02.

Oh Im sorry you should have just mentioned that your one of those ammo guys. I would have totaly understood then. No worries. IYAAYAS. yea ok. By the way working with nukes doesnt make you special, who do you think builds those silos, maitains the sights, roads, and all that good stuff, I wasnt trying to be an asshole but if your going to give out information to people and tell them that joining would be an option, atleast give them accurate info. As for your 3rd testical..... you have full medical man, get it checked out. :shrugani:

422772[/snapback]

Jesus Christ... someone's soft hearted. :cry: You give me a hard time and I can't give one back. I though every Bob the Builder was tough. By the way... silos are built by DoD and DoE appointed contractors and roads are maintain by the DOT, unless the snow needs to be plowed to get to a site. Hell, one out of 3 aint bad.

Where in the hell did you get the idea that I said I was "special" for working with nukes? Did a hammer fall off a shelf and hit you in the head while you read my last post? There's only 5% or so of the AF that actually gets to work on them... and that includes the "Nuclear Weapons Maintenance Techs" (myself), Explosive Ordenance Disposal units for emergencies, and the DoE personnel who are appointed to transport the warheads. It's not a glamorous job and by no means does it make me "special", but it is an exclusive job that not just anyone can do.

Nice insult about nuke techs being ammo troops... but we only work in conjunction with them... never as a part of there AFSC. They can play with the little fireworks... I'll stick to the bombs with the bigger boom. :headbang:

P.S... my info is accurate according to what has been given to me... which is twice as good as any info any recruitor would ever give. <_<

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the matter at hand... bansheefox... there are down sides to any job or training, and I hope you are able to persue your degree in the manner that you want to. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and take other roads to get to where you want to go. Good luck though.