t-5 pipes with jetting problems

i have a banshee with t-5's pipes with no airbox w/ k&n. It has a 280 main jets in it. And the new needle is on the 4th clip... im 180 ft above sea level.. when i idle the bike or just run it lightly it runs fine..and then when i get in the throttle around 3rd and 4th gear it bogs an it lose alot of power it...im using my friends name on here...if anyone can give me some info on this i would appreciate it.

I just rejetted my wife's banshee which also has T-5's.It still needs a little fine tuning,but I think you're too lean.I put a 380 in the carbs,but it might be a little rich.Try a 350.Let me know how it goes.This might sound stupid,but you do know when cruising you'll have to pull in the clutch to get it up in the RPM's before it will really take off.Seems like everyone should know that,but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by race-a-holic

Could be jetting, but did you try disconnecting the tors? Disconnect the little black box above the left exhaust and disconnect the safety switch by the clutch handle. Follow the wire towards the gas tank to the connection and pull it apart..I'd start there first.

Could be jetting, but did you try disconnecting the tors? Disconnect the little black box above the left exhaust and disconnect the safety switch by the clutch handle. Follow the wire towards the gas tank to the connection and pull it apart..I'd start there first.

422406[/snapback]

My first guess is still jetting, my experiences with T5's is that they will prefer more jetting than the 280 Toomey recommends. I know this is supposed to be "Perfect", but everyone I can think of has gone above and beyond this setting.

But could someone please explain why everyone hates TORS. I have yet to have any problems with it, but will probably still remove, cuz everyone else has. Is the TORS in someway a performance limiter of the stock carbs. My only thought is that maybe they could limit throttle response since it monitors for difference in throttle and slide position, and under snap throttle movements could register as a mismatch... Sorry not to bootleg your post, but just curious. :cheers:

But yeah, I would still suspect jetting.

I have T5's with K&N pods, stock carbs at 600-800 ft' (depending on where I ride). At 85-95 degrees I run 310 or 320 mains, 4th clip and 27.5 pilot running 80:1 Amsoil Saber (people forget to realize that mixture affects jetting!). Every 10 degrees I drop below 85 I increase one jet size and it works great. Its actually a little lean but just barely. Remember also that spark arrestors and hush kits affect your jetting as well. Putting on a hush kit will require you to drop atleast 1 jet size, up to 3. "Sparky Cobra" spark arrestors designed specifically for Toomey only need 1 jet if any. That is why I run a bit lean, I don't need to rejet just to add spark arrestors.

running 80:1 Amsoil Saber (people forget to realize that mixture affects jetting!). 

422644[/snapback]

Great point!! :cheers: Running more oil (ie. 32:1 as opposed to 80:1) will cause a leaner condition. This is because there is less fuel, due to the higher ratio of oil. As you run lower ratios of oil (higher number 80:1) you are effectively richening your fuel charge, thus you won't require as big of a main jet. I've always run Golden Spectro at 50:1 so unfortunately I can't speak as to how much you should change jetting for different mix ratios.

My first guess is still jetting, my experiences with T5's is that they will prefer more jetting than the 280 Toomey recommends.  I know this is supposed to be "Perfect", but everyone I can think of has gone above and beyond this setting.

But could someone please explain why everyone hates TORS.  I have yet to have any problems with it, but will probably still remove, cuz everyone else has.  Is the TORS in someway a performance limiter of the stock carbs.  My only thought is that maybe they could limit throttle response since it monitors for difference in throttle and slide position, and under snap throttle movements could register as a mismatch... Sorry not to bootleg your post, but just curious.  :cheers:

But yeah, I would still suspect jetting.

422618[/snapback]

The tors system will affect your spark. I've seen it do multiple different scenerios..Most common is that it will act like a rev limiter only w/ the clutch lever out...so as long as the lever is in you can rev it cleanly, but once your rolling, it won't kick in like the mains are way too large...I've also seen the tors cut the spark off 100%, making you think the stator is gone..so as you can see, you can spend a lot of time problem solving because of the tors, which only takes a few seconds to disconnect. I've owned 5 different banshees at different years w/ my current '00 being the newest. Not one of them lasted more than 1-2years before malfunctioning and caused some kind of problem leading to hours of mind boggling wasted time. Once you encounter one of these episodes, you too will be getting rid of the tors..Don't get confused between the carb tops and the actual TORS. (throttle over ride system) the banshee actually has a mini computer.