LEFT CYLINDER STOPS FIRING OFF OF IDLE

smallfry

On my 97' Banshee, the left cylinder stops firing off of idle. Snap throttle works fine..1/4 throttle-both sides work fine. Here are my mods:

1. NOSS Head

2. 21cc domes

3. Wiseco Pistons bored 50 over

4. 4mm stroker crank

5. 5mm Rods

6. Race Logic stage 3 porting

7. V-Force 3 reeds

8. Boost bottle

7. Proflow foam air filter

8. No box lid

9. TORS is gone

10. Toomy T-5 exhaust

11. Ricky Stator timing plate

12. Compression check is 150 psi on both sides

13. stock carbs (for now)

14. jetting is 340 mains, 27.5 pilots, idle jet is out and both carbs have been sychronized

Stuff I already tried:

1. Air checked for leaks-none

2. swapped CDI, Coil, with a friend, still has same problem.

3. Tried jetting up and down.

4. I live at 2200 ft above sea level

5. Checked flywheel

6. Mixture of gas/oil is 35:1

7. Checked piston rings and are properly seated

8. Plugs read lighlt oiled brownish (like a hershey bar) nothing out of the ordinary.

Motor is newly rebuilt and all the parts installed are new!

I'm stummped! :shrugani::wacko:banghead

ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Edited by smallfry

Make sure your pilot is not clogged at all. When I had stock carbs mine did the same exact thing after I did some mods, pipes reeds etc. It would fire on the left cylinder about 4 times and maybe once on the right. It would not do this under acceleration until I let off the gas. What I had to do is adjust each carb independently to get it to idle right. Eventhough they were not in sync on the idle/air screws it ran perfectly. I could not find any other problems at all. If I remember right I richened the air screw a 1/2 turn more than the other. Still puzzling to me, have never experienced it again since changing carbs. :shrugani:

RNBRAD....Thanks for responding rather quickly! :notworthy:

The pilot is fine, no cloggs whatsoever.

I'll try adjusting the one carb 1/2 turn more to see what happens....

QUESTION #1--When you did get yours to idle right, how log did you run it like that before you bought your carbs? :shrugani:

I'm looking at the end of next month (Oct), possibly sooner, before I can afford a set of new carbs....

QUESTION #2--What is you opinion on switching carbs from right to left, just to find out if one of the carbs is not working properly? :wacko:

VIRTUALBAT.....Thanks for responding rather quickly also... :notworthy:

Tried that several times....live across from an open paved area of about 1 street block. Left slow until about 1/8 throttle then the rest was WOT. After the pass, at idle, still couldn't hear the cylinder fire on the left side. I've been doing this for about 4 days now...Just can't figure it out!! banghead

Scott aka Banforlife...Thanks for responding....... :rolleyes:

Looked into that yesterday and all is good! I can't figure out what the hell the problem is!!! bangheadbanghead

I think I'm just going to have to by some new carbs and say f..... it!!! :shrugani:

Thanks for your advice....

Thinking about buying the new 35mm carbs that are out.... and 2 new air cleaners... :headbang:

RNBRAD....Thanks for responding rather quickly! :notworthy:

The pilot is fine, no cloggs whatsoever.

I'll try adjusting the one carb 1/2 turn more to see what happens....

QUESTION #1--When you did get yours to idle right, how log did you run it like that before you bought your carbs?  :shrugani:

I'm looking at the end of next month (Oct), possibly sooner,  before I can afford a set of new carbs....

QUESTION #2--What is you opinion on switching carbs from right to left, just to find out if one of the carbs is not working properly? :wacko:

419425[/snapback]

Ran it like that for 3 years.

Bigboybanshee....Thanks for responding.... :dance:

Yup! checked the filter.... ;) Clean as new..

Just swapped out carbs with a buddy. With the right adjustments and jetting, the problem no longer exisits.... :shrugani:

Damn stock, piece of crap carbs!!! I guess my job for tonight is to find out where the problem is...Maybe I'll give that job to my hubby!

So it's narrowed down to the carbs.... :headbang:

I thought I was going to have to go back through the motor again!! That would have been a real ass pincher :o ooouch :blink: