Steering Stem Wear...

troyminator

Hello,

I pulled off my steering stem and noticed that there is some wear in the area around the seals that appears that it was wearing. I noticed before when I rode that there was some front to back movement on the handlebars and I am guessing that this is the reason. Is this normal, or do I need to replace it?

Thanks!

T :whoa:

The oring might need replacing.

On mine I noticed some side to side, and when I pulled it apart it was obvious I needed new orings.

The clamp block is a few thousandths bigger than the steering stem, and the o-rings tighten that up.

Put some new orings in your block, and put some grease on the inside of that bushing block as well when you assemble it.

If its worn on the steering stem, you might be able to get away using SAE rather than metric sized o-rings.

The steering stem is 32mm OD tubing. That puts it at 1.259" dia. You should be able to go buy a 1.250 dia oring that is a little thicker than stock, split it, and put it back in. Might even be able to find the oring at Lowes.

Just take in your old o-ring so you can get the thickness and size correct. The people there can barely function as it is. Don't want to go asking them questions n shit.

Hello,

I pulled off my steering stem and noticed that there is some wear in the area around the seals that appears that it was wearing.  I noticed before when I rode that there was some front to back movement on the handlebars and I am guessing that this is the reason.  Is this normal, or do I need to replace it?

Thanks!

T :whoa:

415913[/snapback]

www.mattoonmachine.com These guys make billet alum mounting blocks with new o-rings. You can get them polished or chrome. $35.00 polished & $43.00 for chromed. Chrome will help it steer better i think