How pissed do the looters in N.O. make you

this is a little unnerving...basically no constitution for people who want to remain in their homes...baaad news for lady liberty

NY Times article

September 8, 2005

New Orleans Begins Confiscating Firearms as Water Recedes

By ALEX BERENSON and TIMOTHY WILLIAMS

NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 8 - Waters were receding across this flood-beaten city today as police officers began confiscating weapons, including legally registered firearms, from civilians in preparation for a mass forced evacuation of the residents still living here.

No civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to carry pistols, shotguns, or other firearms, said P. Edwin Compass, the superintendent of police. "Only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons," he said.

But that order apparently does not apply to the hundreds of security guards whom businesses and some wealthy individuals have hired to protect their property. The guards, who are civilians working for private security firms like Blackwater, are openly carrying M-16's and other assault rifles. Mr. Compass said he was aware of the private guards, but that the police had no plans to make them give up their weapons.

Nearly two weeks after the floods began, New Orleans has turned into an armed camp, patrolled by thousands of local, state, and federal law enforcement officers, as well as National Guard troops and active-duty soldiers. While armed looters roamed unchecked last week, the city is now calm. No arrests were made on Wednesday night or this morning, and police received only 10 calls for service, a police spokesman said.

Many neighborhoods in the northern half of New Orleans remain under 10 feet of water, and Mr. Compass said today that the city's plans for a forced evacuation remain in effect because of the danger of disease and fires.

Mr. Compass said he could not disclose when New Orleans residents might be forced to leave en masse, but other police officers and law enforcement officials said the city planned to start as early as tonight.

The city's Police Department and federal law enforcement officers from agencies like the United States Marshals Service will lead the evacuation, Mr. Compass said. Officers will search houses in both dry and flooded neighborhoods, and no one will be allowed to stay, he said.

Many of the residents still in the city said they did not understand why the city remained intent on forcing them out.

"I know the risks," said Renee de Pontchieux, as she sat on a stool outside Kajun's Pub in the working-class Bywater neighborhood east of downtown. "We used to think we lived in America - now we're not so sure. Why should we allow this government to chase us out and allow people from outside to rebuild our homes? We want to rebuild our homes."

But Ms. De Pontchieux said she was resigned to being evacuated if the police insisted. "It would be foolish" to fight, she said.

Among the authorities, though, some confusion lingered about how a widespread evacuation by force would work, and how much support it would get at the federal and state level. Mayor Nagin told the police and the military on Tuesday to remove all residents for their own safety, and on Wednesday, Mr. Compass said state laws gave the mayor the authority to declare martial law and order the evacuations.

"There's a martial law declaration in place that gives us legal authority for mandatory evacuations," Mr. Compass said. "We'll use the minimum amount of force necessary."

But because the New Orleans Police Department has only about 1,000 working officers, the city is largely in the hands of National Guard troops and active-duty soldiers.

State officials said Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco could tell the Guard to carry out the forced removals, but they stopped short of a commitment to do so. In Washington, Lt. Gen. Joseph R. Inge, deputy commander of the United States Northern Command, said regular troops "would not be used" in any forced evacuation.

The state disaster law does not supersede either the state or federal Constitutions, said Kenneth M. Murchison, a law professor at Louisiana State University. But even so, Mr. Nagin's decision could be a smart strategy that does not violate fundamental rights, Professor Murchison said.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

derelict. :rotflmao: damn I learn something here everyday! god bless the HQ.

I kinda got something to add here anyway..

A friend of mine is in contruction. He was contacted by FEMA to go down and do Hurricane in Florida, but then the NO disaster happened and the very day it changed from Florida to New Orleans, $1700 a week minimum to go down and lay tarps on building and other stuff. He's got 30 guys ready and waiting for FEMA to allow entry. $1700 I am debating on going down there.. :shrugani:

My question is, why dont they pay the refugee that they have scattered through out Texas and other states the money, let them go and get paid.. Geez?? :shootself:

fuck that i live in cali......... then them bastards will just jump the fence, and be in my yard........given the choice id rather support them right where they are

413084[/snapback]

right where they were, is more like it. Hell, I ain't talking no mexico here, I'm talking a whole lot further south than that, like, send em on home, homie.

The way I see it... the government {local and federal} and the military forces are acting like they don't want to or don't have the authority to enforce a complete evacuation and that is simply wrong. People who were effected by the hurricane who have mortgages DO NOT have any say as to whether they will stay or go. The mortgage company holds the loan on the property and the insurance company insures the structures. All checks made payable to the homeowner require the lenders to sign off on the payment. Many lenders require that an account be established so that the money's used for the rebuild can be tracked. All it takes is for the local government to condemn the property {which they can and often do for ANY reason they want. It's called imminant domain} and the homeowner is out and the military or local police can literally drag you out of there. The insurance company can offer the lender an amount for the loss of the actual property and any lender who refused would be crazy. That leaves you {the home "owner"} to either pay the balance of the mortgage for a property that isn't there or walk away. Even people who own their homes with no leins can and often do become displaced because of re-zoning and condemnation of property. Right now the polititians are acting like they can't do anything to get people out. But the time will come when these people will be removed. The fact is that most people will stay where they are if they become used to it. So the folks in Texas and everywhere else that are accepting refugees, just got thousands of new neighbors. In fact I saw on TV that the government is offering something like $26,000 to each family for re-location expense. You would be nuts to not take that money and get a new place where you got re-located to.

And I told you guys that the money would be pouring into the area. $1700 a week to tarp off what??? This is to protect the assets of the wealthy and to literally put a band aid on the issue. Nothing looks like progress as much as a helicopter view of hundreds of acres of blue tarps on the roofs of ruined buildings. People will then begin to say... wow, what are those people complaining about... look at all those tarps!

tarp off what? my thoughts exactly..

I think there's also gonna be more prob. cleaning and bull dozing... :confused:

My eye's opened when he said min. of $1700..

You'll have to rough it, if my job here would be secure I would go in a heart beat, I can't afford to lose the insurance benifits I have here..

Guest blew duece
The way I see it... the government {local and federal} and the military forces are acting like they don't want to or don't have the authority to enforce a complete evacuation and that is simply wrong. People who were effected by the hurricane who have mortgages DO NOT have any say as to whether they will stay or go. The mortgage company holds the loan on the property and the insurance company insures the structures. All checks made payable to the homeowner require the lenders to sign off on the payment. Many lenders require that an account be established so that the money's used for the rebuild can be tracked. All it takes is for the local government to condemn the property {which they can and often do for ANY reason they want. It's called imminant domain} and the homeowner is out and the military or local police can literally drag you out of there. The insurance company can offer the lender an amount for the loss of the actual property and any lender who refused would be crazy. That leaves you {the home "owner"} to either pay the balance of the mortgage for a property that isn't there or walk away. Even people who own their homes with no leins can and often do become displaced because of re-zoning and condemnation of property. Right now the polititians are acting like they can't do anything to get people out. But the time will come when these people will be removed. The fact is that most people will stay where they are if they become used to it. So the folks in Texas and everywhere else that are accepting refugees, just got thousands of new neighbors. In fact I saw on TV that the government is offering something like $26,000 to each family for re-location expense. You would be nuts to not take that money and get a new place where you got re-located to.

And I told you guys that the money would be pouring into the area. $1700 a week to tarp off what??? This is to protect the assets of the wealthy and to literally put a band aid on the issue. Nothing looks like progress as much as a helicopter view of hundreds of acres of blue tarps on the roofs of ruined buildings. People will then begin to say... wow, what are those people complaining about... look at all those tarps!

413890[/snapback]

Ill bet ya anyone of those people who had paid off homes didn't have homeowners insurance, picture yourself an agent and a guy says "hey I want insurance on my home, its in a place that has flooded and been rebuilt 4 times

hot damn. what the hell have i been doing??? i need to quit working and start poppin out kids. hell if i can keep track of their daddies, maybe i can even get child support. ill be rollin in it. 

sweet deal.

414592[/snapback]

always tryinto make a quick buck arent u brooke???

can i bethe first daddy :drool:

Guest blew duece

come on out to cali brooke. we will impregnate that good ass then abort the little prick, assholes will applaud us for not being tied down, after your abortion your friends will feel sorry for you for "loosing the baby" then we can fuck some more............ :clap:B)B)B)B)B)B)

come on out to cali brooke. we will impregnate that good ass then abort the little prick, assholes will applaud us for not being tied down, after your abortion your friends will feel sorry for you for "loosing the baby" then we can fuck some more............ :clap:  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)

414732[/snapback]

good god man youre a genius. with your plan my body wont go to hell AND i can claim mental distress after the abortion and get disability pay. so many options, i love this country.

hope youve got lots of energy, im a sex addict, and i'll have lots of time on my hands since i wont be working an all.

:clap:

Guest blew duece
good god man youre a genius. with your plan my body wont go to hell AND i can claim mental distress after the abortion and get disability pay.  so many options, i love this country. 

hope youve got lots of energy, im a sex addict, and i'll have lots of time on my hands since i wont be working an all. 

:clap:

414747[/snapback]

i knew i was on to something, thats a great plan, you wont need the disability pay you can threaten to tell my wife and i can kick down thousands a month to keep you from telling her, when your not full of dick you can shop and see the sites, maybe meet at noon for some (dick) lunch, then when your done with lunch you can have some (dick) desert, and around dinner time maybe some dick before you go out clubbing with your new found friends, then when you get home ofcourse somemore dick, im doing the math now, around 15k a month should cut it........ :jesterlaugh: