Drained OIl, Looks Metallic...Do I need to worry?

Stinger

I drained the oil out of my transmission and the oil had a metallic look to it. Tiny little shiny specs in it.

I've ran about 20 gallons of fuel through it since the last oil change. Is this normal for that amount of time on the oil or is something about ready to eat itself?

hey man if i were u i'd change my oil a little more often then every 20 gallons. oil's cheap insurance. i think everybody will tell u ur always gonna get little shavings. but change the oil more often. just pull ur dipstick and look at it. keep n eye on it then change it out depenedin on how hard or long u beat on it. i run cheap 80 wt gear oil n change it every few rides even if i don't burn a whole tank.

Well, I agree, I should have changed it more. It was one of those "I need to change my oil pretty soon" things that I just never got around to doing.

I'll definately change it more, it just shocked me when it was so metallic looking...I'm still not sure if I like that.

i've been debating about getting a magnetic drain plug, maybe that would be a good idea for you too. :shrugani: i've never really noticed any shavings or anything, but i'm sure there's been some.

Actual shavings are bad. If the oil is simply metallic in color, it could just be clutch fibers in there. Remember that oil lubes your clutch too. That will wear clutch into the trans oil.

404862[/snapback]

YEAH MAN. I just changed mine, thought it looked kinda shiney there was metal in it...strained it and realized it just wear from the clutch, no chunky bits of metal that will mess shit up (like the ones that blew up my buddys z400, haha stupid suzuki! :P ) ya know?

• 5 weeks later...