impact wrneches

racer

i dropped some coin and get me a new impact the other day. its pretty cool, 300lb ft of torque and like 13000 rpm.

id post a pic but the snap on website is down.

anyway, if that air motor produces those numbers does it have like 745 hp? cause i used the HP= (rpm x tq)/5252 formula and i got about that. but that torque isnt produced at that RPM. so does this change the number? or does that thing really have that much horsepower? :whoa:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it probably does have hp similair to what you calcualated. pneumatic turbines are very powerful and can be very small. The downside is that it takes a much larger powersource to compress the air that runs them.

Remember that horspower is the rate at which towrque is made and that torque is the real measure of the amount of work an engine can produce.

:bolt:

i see what you mean about the need for a much larger source of power to run them, thus being very inefficient.

so are 3/8 impact wrenches trail friendly? :o

EDIT i went back and checked over the exact specs and i was a lil off on the rpms, only 9500 instead of 13k. so that gives a corrected HP of 542.65

of course that wouldnt figure in things like a higher/lower line pressure than is specified (90psi), or the possibilty of water in the lines.

Edited by gimmeabeer

my son has a 18 volt impact he bought from snap-on and it is awsome.we use it alot and it comes in very handy at the drags.he has a couple extra batteries also we keep charged and take with.his is a half inch drive and it takes car lugs off with no sweat.

this one is a 3/8ths air model. its the new one with the magnesium housing. oh my god its light, under 3 lbs. its balanced too. you can stand it up on the air inlet and it will stay there. i love it, i thought about getting the matching 1/2 drive, but i dont really need 700 lb-ft of tq. :drool:

retail is $313, but i didnt pay that. i had a damn near brand new Blue Point impact that i traded in and had to throw down about $130. its been worth every penny. back working at the dealership all of the bikes we got in had shipping crates that had to be dismantled to get to the unit, and it got used constantly doing that. about a 2 weeks after i got it it developed a leaky seal in the triger, but snap on fixed that for no charge and gave me a loaner impact to use while mine was in the shop. i thought it was excellent of them to give me something else to use, thats customer service to talk about.

so are 3/8 impact wrenches trail friendly?  :o

401995[/snapback]

Depends on what builder you have port it.

Sounds like you got a good impact. We still use one my dad has had for about 30 yeras now. I can't even remember the name. It might be an Ingersol or something.

:shrugani:

Its old...heavy....and noisy as fuck.

i'm thinking that formula might only be good for gas engines. . .like how deisles can have 600 ft lbs of torque and half or possible less than half that in hp. . .I think (not exactaly sure but i know the torque is usualy decently than hp higher on them) so with pnumatics(sp) it could even be less. . . .or for all I know it could have more hp than torque. . .just a thought :bolt::shrugani:

i'm thinking that formula might only be good for gas engines. . .like how deisles can have 600 ft lbs of torque and half or possible less than half that in hp

402089[/snapback]

naw HP is HP.

and the reason for that diff is cause of the RPM. a diisel will only rev out to like 3500 - 4000. instead of 9500 like that turbine.

and Stan you should hear this fucker. sounds like im on tony stwearts pit crew, it rocks.