compression

decon

ok, my uncle has had his banshee for around 3-5 years and has never done a rebuild. i can tell his compression is real low because it takes a shitload of kicks to start, and I keep telling him he needs to rebuild it, but he doesnt listen. im telling him it should start in 1-2 kicks, and doesnt believe that. would a nosshead help raise his compression, or would a rebuilt be best? he just has an air filter an pipes. also, is boring nessecary when you rebuild? or can u just replace the pistons/gaskets/etc.

damn deadop your lucky. anyway, ill have to talk to him and convince him to do a rebuild before his engine gives, and then get a nosshead to top it off. after 3-5 years hes talking to me trying to get more power, and I think he should rebuild before he does engine mods. thanks for the help though guys.

Yep...96 stock build here. Takes about 9 to 12 kicks COLD to start. once warmed, half a kick...

110PSI in each...and I've been beating the bejeezus out of it...:)

I know my jetting is damned near perfect...so, it should only take 1 to 2 kicks...

I'm going with a head mod soon...but, that'll probably only make a bad top end wear quicker by putting more stress on it...it's not a substitute...it's a performance enhancer for a properly tuned and maintained shee...

No more than 5 kicks with a cold 87. do a compression check if he is under 90 psi he going to need a rebuild.  you might want to get the cyclinders measrued for roundness.  if, ok try just a piston and rings, maybe hone it too.

383962[/snapback]

you really need to rebuild when your under 110.

It could be as simple as an adjustment of the pilot screw. If it's cold out try turning the screws in some.

Do a compression test. If you are low... depends on your elevation, then do a rebuild.

If one cylinder is more than 15% different from the other you need a rebuild.

A good way to tell if the rings are shot is to put a table spoon of 2 stroke oil in each cylinder after you do a compression test. Then do another compression test. If the compression is very different between the two.. time for a rebuild.

You alway need to hone with new rings. The hone works like a file to make the new rings take the exact shape of the cylinder. Problem with just changing the rings on an old engine is the piston skirts could be weak. The bore could still be good. Have it measured by a machine shop before ordering your pistons. Then wait until you get the pistons in hand to get the boring done so the machinist can match them.

I think PassionRE offers the cheapest top end bore and piston kit prices I've seen from quailty builders. You send him your cylinders and he'll take care of the rest.