overheating problem?

Hey i went out riding the other day during around 86 degress and I think i had it even jetted alittle rich. But it seems to heat up really quick and get extremly hot. I was woundering how hot the engine temp should be becuase i have a tach temp i can use on it. Also what things can i get thats cheap to help keep the engine cool.

Hey i went out riding the other day during around 86 degress and I think i had it even jetted alittle rich. But it seems to heat up really quick and get extremly hot. I was woundering how hot the engine temp should be becuase i have a tach temp i can use on it. Also what things can i get thats cheap to help keep the engine cool.

383244[/snapback]

Try some engine ice....is it boiling over? If its running hot that can be a lean condition.

Q#7:What are some indications that my jetting is rich?

A#7:A slightly rich condition will result in noticeably reduced performance, or "bog". Say your main jets are one size too rich, it starts and runs fine, but whenever you have the throttle pinned (or Wide Open Throttle=WOT), the motor doesn't continue building RPM; it bogs down because there's too much fuel per volume of air and it cannot burn efficiently. Other indications of being rich are fouled plugs, thicker than normal exhaust smoke when the motor is fully warmed up, and the dreaded overheating. Be careful of these symptoms though, as any of them alone may point to a non-jetting related problem (thick white smoke is more likely a head gasket leak, fouled plugs could be a weak stator). While overheating due to a rich condition is not common on Banshees (typically the plug will foul and not fire before it gets too hot), it's still not a good idea to run for extended periods with the jetting too rich. Periodically reading your spark plugs is a good way to get an idea of your overall jetting; if the center electrode (the part that's snow white when brand new) and base ring are light chocolate brown, you're jetting is perfect (slightly rich); if it's black and wet, you're too rich. Doing a plug chop will tell you for sure if your mains are too rich or lean (more on this later). Another trick is to warm up the motor, pop the choke out to the first notch, and ride it; if it bogs worse with the choke out you know you're too rich. Some motor mods will cause a rich condition, as well as changes in temperature or elevation (see Q#13, 14, & 15).

I know that my bike would boil over when I had it too rich. I live in Michigan and typically jet it for around 60-70 degrees. When I ride in heat,(over 80)I find that it doesn't boil over when I go down a size on the main...Just my .02.

Try some engine ice....is it boiling over? If its running hot that can be a lean condition.

383258[/snapback]

Like Banshee~ said. Get some engine ice, it seems to work well. Def. check your jetting. If you are still having problems with overheating after that and you want to drop some extra $ get an oversized radiator.

Sounds to me like you are running too lean. I haven't heard of any bikes running hot because they were rich.

You may want to take your impeller out and have a look at it. Check the plastic gear inside the case cover, not just the vanes under the inspection plate. Either way the stock impeller is crap and I would change it out either way. Just a thought................... :cheers:

Like Banshee~ said.  Get some engine ice, it seems to work well.  Def. check your jetting.  If you are still having problems with overheating after that and you want to drop some extra $ get an oversized radiator.

384109[/snapback]

I would get a coolhead before an oversized radiator. Dont sit still with the engine going, air going threw the radiator is what cools the water.

Im not sure about that...but the more oil in you gas, the cooler it will run.

383562[/snapback]

Oil lubricates. Fuel cools the top of the piston. To much oil and it will run hotter because you lean the fuel mixture... unless you rejet for it.

I would get a coolhead before an oversized radiator. Dont sit still with the engine going, air going threw the radiator is what cools the water.

384125[/snapback]

I was going to suggest a Noss Machines head, but if you read his tag line he already has a Cool Head w/ 22cc domes. So he has to look elsewhere for the solution to his problem. Try the engine ice and new impeller, but I would venture to say that you are not jetted right.......... :cheers:

384125[/snapback]

Bump that! I didnt realize you didnt have a cool head. Def. get a Noss head before an oversized radiator. A billet impellar isnt a bad idea either.

Don't tell me that the billet water pump impeller I just paid for was a waste of money :cry:  I am also relocating the reservoir....

384264[/snapback]

The billet impellar is a good thing. The stock impellar is the one you have to worry about breaking. They supposely help cool up to 30% more, I dont know how true it is. I look at the billet impellar more like cheap insurance.