2-1 carb troubles

BigCP

im kinda new around here and been a member for a couple months or so and have bought things on here from various individuals for my banshee along with making this the fourth banshee that i have owned. Its nothing special a 20 over bore, vitos pistons, v-force 3's, fattys w/ power core 2's, k&n and thats about it, no porting or serious motor work as of yet. i had been riding it with the stock carbs for some time and decided to put the single carb on sunday afternoon while i had nothing to do and ride it some. so i installed the new reeds and the carb manifold, carb and new airbox. got it all hooked up and ready to run, choked it and started kicking...well i had to give it gas to fire it up but it ran and so i adjusted the idle and got it idling and took it for a couple a runs up the driveway and immediately i could tell it was a little rich but, not too bad so i decided to wait and fine tune it this week. i fooled with it some this evening after work and it will start up fine on the first kick everytime but its so damn rich so im like well i guess i will post on the jetting and exhaust forum and get some input on what to do. after listening making a few slight adjustments on the carb i could tell no difference and as a matter of fact it had gotten worse on the rich part. so i started looking for problems and decided to check the needle clip and make sure it was in the 3rd position because i figured that to be a good starting point to be at before i made this post. upon furter inspection the intake boot between the carb and the stage 4 manifold was almost ripped clean off! it was dry rotted that bad so before i even started fooling with pilots and mains i stopped myself and figured that this had to be something to do with the way it was running so here i am at this point writing this forum post and i feel stupid for not inspecting that earlier but, if i could get some help with what jet sizes to go with when i get my new intake boot installed this weekend it would be greatly appreciated. im 1600 feet above sea level, it currently has a 170 main and 48 pilot with the air/fuel screw 1.5 turns out from the seated position. i have a 160 main in my tool box but, i don't have any more size pilot jets and was wondering what sizes i should start with at my elevation and the mods on my bike? i also have a dek needle in the middle position. sorry for such a long post but, i just wanted to tell that story to everyone because i thought it was kinda funny looking down and seein that boot ripped in half and good thing i didn't go on a long ride or anything because im sure it could have been fatal to the old shee. well, thanks and any help would be appreciated. Laters!

BigCP

I'm at 185 main, 48 pilot, EEK needle in the 3rd clip. The needle is what made the most difference for me. I was really rich low and mid, but lean on top no matter what I did with the jets.

I have stock bore, stock port, stock pistons, k&n filter, noss head 21cc domes and v-force II reeds with pt mids. same elevation.

I'm at 185 main, 48 pilot, EEK needle in the 3rd clip.  The needle is what made the most difference for me.  I was really rich low and mid, but lean on top no matter what I did with the jets.

I have stock bore, stock port, stock pistons, k&n filter, noss head 21cc domes and v-force II reeds with pt mids. same elevation.

376460[/snapback]

runnin 3rd from top didn't make you low to mid worse? What pipes did you have before thoes mids? Sounds like your too rich. I have a 33pwk eek needle in the middle with190 main 48 pilot and no lid on the air box with k&n and she really rips!

22cc domes .20 over super stock pistons

fatties

runnin 3rd from top didn't make you low to mid worse?  What pipes did you have before thoes mids? Sounds like your too rich.  I have a 33pwk eek needle in the middle with190 main 48 pilot and no lid on the air box with k&n and she really rips!

22cc domes .20 over super stock pistons

fatties

376890[/snapback]

My stock ported banshee was 4th clip down on an EEK needle. The stock needle in the PWK is a DEK. The only difference between the DEK and the EEK is 3/4 to WOT, the rest is exactly the same. I don't understand why think he'd be rich when your jetting is exactly the same except for one size bigger on the main. The 3rd clip is the middle setting.

After portwork, I'm beginning to think the motor has enough flow to warrant the DEK needle. My stock ported banshee didn't flow enough to get fuel from the DEK, but I'm at the 5th clip on the DEK and it seems to be running good. Oh, and I'm at a 205 main, 52 pilot. I'll probably try the EEK again, but wait until I get a little closer with the tuning.

Scott

My stock ported banshee was 4th clip down on an EEK needle.  The stock needle in the PWK is a DEK.  The only difference between the DEK and the EEK is 3/4 to WOT, the rest is exactly the same.  I don't understand why think he'd be rich when your jetting is exactly the same except for one size bigger on the main.  The 3rd clip is the middle setting. 

After portwork, I'm beginning to think the motor has enough flow to warrant the DEK needle.  My stock ported banshee didn't flow enough to get fuel from the DEK, but I'm at the 5th clip on the DEK and it seems to be running good.  Oh, and I'm at a 205 main, 52 pilot.  I'll probably try the EEK again, but wait until I get a little closer with the tuning.

Scott

376893[/snapback]

I don't know where I got the idea to try the EEK needle, but I ever meet them I have a couple of cold ones with their name on it. How's it been goin' :cheers:

i have it running better but, definitely not finely tuned in yet. i paused on the carb and put a new f.a.s.t. clutch in last night and can't wait to try it out. One thing i noticed is that i didn't have the air/fuel screw turned out enough but, i still wanna run my air box lid because some of the places i ride has some wide and kinda deep river crossings which i have had no trouble with before. im gonna get an eek needle and try it too in my spare time. i will let you guys know how it turns out. thanks for all the input! CP