Chain and sprockets!

It seems that everytime I spend a week in the sand, it's time for a new chain and sprockets. They seem to work ok for the first few days, then the chain starts to skip on the sproket in deep sand or on a heavy load. Anyone else have this prob? are the sidewinder's worth buying or will they do it too?

Dude,

Your chain is NOT slipping. Chains do not slip under a load unless you have as much slack in them as is equal to 1/2 the diam of your smallest sprocket. On a banshee this is about 3 1/2 inches. If you do not have that much slack in your chain then the only way it could slip would be to clean all the teath of on sprocket or the other.

What you are hearing and feeling is sand being pulled into the chain and being forced out between the rollers on the chain and the teath of the sprocket. Sometimes this noise can be reduced by tightening the chain a little bit, but not all the time. I ride in the sand every weekend and do not run any chain gaurds or skid plates at all. As such my chain and rear sprocket run in the sand a lot. I have people tell me all the time that my chain is slipping but it never is.

Tighten you chain after its first break in period, and do not worry about that noise, it just means you are digging deap and riding pretty hard.

:cheers:

What you are hearing and feeling is sand being pulled into the chain and being forced out between the rollers on the chain and the teath of the sprocket. 

369745[/snapback]

He's right. But if you are wearing out sprockets prematurely, that's a seperate issue. If the teeth are getting sharp and generally worn out more often than in a year or (usually) more of riding, you are probably running the chain loose. This will cause MASSIVELY premature wear of the chain and sprockets. To set chain tension, it should have 1/2 to an inch or so of free play WITH THE SUSPENSION COMPRESSED. I cannot stress this enough. When the suspension compresses, the chain tightens due to the decrease of swingarm angle in relation to the countershaft sprocket. If you have the chain at 1/2" of free play with the suspension unloaded, it will be banjo-tight when the suspension compresses after landing a jump, etc. binding the suspension and stressing the crap out of the countershaft bearing. So to check chain tension, I always kneel on the grab bar with my full weight, then reach down and check tension. The proper amount is pretty snug, but not banjo level. Sounds as though you are at the opposite end of the spectrum, but either way, proper adjustment will give really long chain & sprocket life even in the sand.

i didn't read ne of the other replies. i'm just gonna answer ur question. if u got money and are willing to spend the extra money. buy sidewinder sprockets. i hear they last forever. literally. maybe somebody on here has a set and can shine some light on these. i was interested till i seen the price for the drivetrain setup. cas i'm broke from buyin pipes and other shit lol

try out some primary drive sprockets and DID chain and see how they work. been runnin the same sprockets for a long time now with no wear on them..for the cost of sidewinder i can replace my PD about 23 times...

370007[/snapback]

Word!