old jeep restoration or no?

ok, ever since i was little, and my dad used to bring home jeeps during the winter to plow our driveway from work, i have loved jeeps, and i finally got one of my own, a 1989 wrangler... but now i have a chance to get one to restore... i saw it in my local classifieds... its a 1960 jeep cj-5. it has an I4 engine, not currently running, and i dont know much about it yet, other than that it is "not a turn-key situation." from the picture in the classifieds the body looks good, it doesnt look bad at all..

the way i figure it, i can either rebuild the current engine, and run that, or i could just drop in a 4.2 or a v6 anyways... and then go from there, and restore it to like new condition, and make it an offroad machine. i was thinking maybe a 2 inch- 3 inch lift, with some 33's, and thats it, and just run it...

i think i am definitely gonna buy it though, go this weekend and check out the frame and the body, see how it is...

any input from jeep people or non jeep people is appreciated...

pretty much my plan is, to take no less than 4-5 years restoring it, take my time, and do it right, since i am gonna be going to college this coming fall to be a mechainc, i figure its a good learning tool as well...

any input from jeep people or non jeep people is appreciated...

a full resto is easier said than done.and old jeep like that is very hard to find parts for.not to mention the time and money. in fact i do beleive thats one of the years the transfer case gears are split also.meaning the transfer case has a high-low range including low-high 2 and 4.my brother had one of those oldies.the slowest one out to the pit but most times the only one getting out.does it come with the metal top as well.not to nock you but i would pick it up if it comes with most of the parts,and sit on it until your out of school,and have a place to do it and the money to back it.cause once you start you cant stop because your out of money.cause once its on the back burner it gets put off.been there done that.

scott

i dont think it comes with a metal top...

and actually, i shouldnt have used the word restoration the way i did, i dont really want to do a "full" resto, just build it up, replace parts, make it look nice, and drive it, i dont really wanna run around like a chicken with my head cut off looking for old parts that work...

EDIT: i think it comes with all the parts, basically the guy told me its complete except it doesnt currently run...

Edited by jeepman137

restos are alot of fun, and alot of money.. im currently doing a 1975 blazer... with the fully removable hard top from the front windshield back (Only made 3 years), and it has the original 400 sb (Only made one year for this truck).. I got the frame pc'd and new rims and tires and a lift kit.. that was 1 year ago.. man i gotta start workin on it again.. parts layin around..dont know where half the shit goes anymore.. I'd do it.. its alot fo fun, that would be an easy tear down adn reassembly too.. not to complicated on a small truck like that.. Goodluck :headbang:

Eric :cheers:

i'm in the middle of a resto on a '60 cj5. there are actually a ton of places that sell oem parts. just do everything the first time around so you don't need to tear into it again. and get your tires and lift b4 you swap engines so you know what angles you're working with. i threw in an amc 360 mated to an nv4500, dana 44s, and 36's. lot of work, but a jeep's a jeep. they're bad, any way you look at 'em.

I had a 79 CJ-5 silver anniversary edition that I did arestoration on and finally sold it.

Heres my thoughts,,,,if your looking for somewhat of a summertime daily driver,,,get a newer 87-up wrangler,,,the steering and handling alone will make your life a whole lot easier and it ALOT easier to get parts for and cheaper to build. early 90's are easy to come by an usually pretty cheap. get the 4.0. the 4cylinder is fun too but if you plan on tires and lift (like you mentioned) you hate yourself for not getting the 4.0

If your a nastolgic buff who loves old stuff and dont mind a long drawn out resotration process then go for the 60' Old jeeps are the coolest jeeps in the world but it will take alot of patience,,,work and most of all,,,money! to restore when I first got my old CJ-5 I first thought I could throw a few stuff together and have something fun to drive...WRONG!! several thousand dollars later I was still working on it. I loved that jeep and had alot of good times in it but whenever I was looking for parts I was always wishing I had a CJ-7 or a wrangler

well actually i do have a wrangler, a 1989... with the 4.2... i love my wrangler, but i was just looking for an old jeep to tool on, and make something out of it... i dont know, some guys at work kinda talked me out of it, i might still do it... still thinking...

yeah, i like the old WWII jeeps, but that is way too far back, and that is worse than a cj5, atleast with a cj5 there are some parts still available, but with the older ones, its next to impossible to find original parts...

i think im gonna call the guy tmrw, and see if a down payment is possible, to kind of "reserve" the jeep, and then pay it off with either graduation $$ or from work...