Timing

JArmShee

I have T-5's 33pwk, boost bottle, reeds, spacers. and K&N with no airbox

165 Main 52 pilot and Im pretty sure I have to go up on the mains. But either way the Mid range sucks .

The bike was on 20cc domes and race gas at sea level when I first got it. It ran amazing.

I put 22cc domes in it to run pump gas. Up top its ok but im going to mess with the mains.

The mid range sucks. Could the timing be set to advanced and would that effect my midrange.

The bike starts first kick every time and idles fine. But no power in the middle.

Thanks

I dunno...

If you're gonna run race gas, I'd put the 20cc domes back in. Together with 4 to 8 degrees of timing, your bottom and mid should pick up considerably...

Again...can't say what 6 will do. 4 is a good, safe starting point. Some here run upwards of 7 or 8. But, they're stroked, bored...etc.

Better to start out small...

Someone here correct me if I"m wrong...but, compression changes have more to do with Race Gas than timing...except an extreme timing advance...for the likes of a strict drag/stroked/bored/alcohol bike....

The compression of the motor will have more to do with the need for race gas than the timing will. If you are close to the "magic" number on compression for needing race fuel, advancing your timing will make that requirement more likely. But, if your compression isn't too high, then there's no reason you couldn't run +6 on pump fuel, but I doubt I'd go any higher than that.

I ran +7 on mine with 155 lbs. of compression on 104 w/ oxygen. Made for a nice combination.

Ok ill Rephrase

My mods are listed above. and im .50 over with a cool head.

The quad had 20cc domes and ran on race gas. the timing was advanced also.

I just switched to 22cc domes and am running pump gas. The comp is like 140-150ish so pump gas safe.

Considering my timing is still advanced from when it was on race gas, is this what is affecting my mid range power.

or would it not effect it.

Sorry for the mix up

Considering my timing is still advanced from when it was on race gas, is this what is affecting my mid range power.

or would it not effect it.

I'm guessing that's a single 33pwk carb? Didn't notice that before. How does it start with that 52 pilot in there? Also what position is your needle in. What EXACTLY do you mean by midrange, and is it all the time, only at WOT, or when, who, what, how and why? Info man, give us some details.

I'll just add that I imagine it's jetting more than your timing being advanced, where's your timing at anyway, is it the +6 you mentioned?

The guy who owned it b4 me said the timing is advanced from when it was on race gas and 20cc domes. but he didnt set up the motor so hes not sure by how much. I havent had the flywheel off so i dont know by how much it is advanced.

Its dual 33pwk's

With the 52 pilot is starts first to second kick every time. And idles like a dream.

Needles on 3rd clip. And its a DEJ needle

By midrange I mean.... Nothing nothing nothing. BANG!!!! HOLD ON!!

Not a bog or a cut off just kind of dead.Untill WOT. Like turbo lag almost.

And Im going to try jettin but I figured I should Atleast Set the timing right first.

Main is 165.

Thanks.

Edited by JArmShee

If it's running that good on top and bottom, I don't think it's too much carb on there.

My T5's pull like the dickens from mid to top...I"m searching for a bit more bottom now. Ok...not searching, really...trying to figure out how to "finance" it...:)

Have you thought about warming her up, put in fresh plugs, and hold it 1/2 way open for a few minutes. Try a plug check.

Try the old choke trick. Ride at half thottle...pull the choke 1/2 way out...see if it's better or worse.

Better, richen up your needle and possibly richen your screws a hair.

Worse...lean the needle...and same with air screws.

You can try a different needle...or try moving the clip up or down. Remember, moving the clip towards the blunt/flat end leans it...toward the tapered needle richens it.

I wouldn't mess the air screws too much, maybe 1/4 turn at a time, especially since it starts and idles so nicely...

The guy who owned it b4 me said the timing is advanced from when it was on race gas and 20cc domes. but he didnt set up the motor so hes not sure by how much. I havent had the flywheel off so i dont know by how much it is advanced.

Its dual 33pwk's

With the 52 pilot is starts first to second kick every time. And idles like a dream.

Needles on 3rd clip. And its a DEJ needle

By midrange I mean.... Nothing nothing nothing. BANG!!!! HOLD ON!!

Not a bog or a cut off just kind of dead.Untill WOT. Like turbo lag almost.

And Im going to try jettin but I figured I should Atleast Set the timing right first.

Main is 165.

Thanks.

361721[/snapback]

If it's an adjustable plate, set it to +4 and leave it alone. Put your clip in the very bottom position of the needle, so you lift the needle up higher and see how it runs. You can get an EEJ needle that will be identical except for the taper, it will be a tad steeper/richer taper and it'll let the main come on a little sooner and might help bring your midrange out some. Call www.carbparts.com to get it, and they're cheap, defnitely worth the little cost of trying out.

Scott

calchart.gif

Well to solve this Thread. I had the Flywheel off today and The timing is not adjustable and I will have to get a Timing plate.

The Main jets were 165 and I went up 2 1/2 to 178 and It made a noticable difference on the top end. Im ordering the 185 and Will try them next.

-Anthony

Well to solve this Thread. I had the Flywheel off today and The timing is not adjustable and I will have to get a Timing plate.

The Main jets were 165 and I went up 2 1/2 to 178 and It made a noticable difference on the top end. Im ordering the 185 and Will try them next.

-Anthony

362422[/snapback]

Here is a pic of a modifed stock timing Plate I had machined by my friend at work.

It's cut 4.5mm deeper on the counterclockwise side for about 4.5 degree.

Does your plate look like this one. If so you can demel it by hand to get more timing out of them stocker. :)

plate.jpg