ford help plz

ok, once again unrelated but no one seems to be on the f-150 forums and i know alot of guys here are good with trucks and stuff. coupel problems, main one is my steering, the wheel is almost half a turn to the left for the truck to be going straight, lot of play in it, cant get it checked out till monday so any ideas on how bad this could be? (i'm guessing steering box) :shrugani:

its a '93 f-150 super cab 4x4. 2nd problem is i need a skid plate for over the transfer case. any one got one of them or know a site where i can find them? (been looking, even e-bay dont seem to have any) i also need a tail gate and front bumper if any one has one they want to get rid of.

thanks

ok, once again unrelated but no one seems to be on the f-150 forums and i know alot of guys here are good with trucks and stuff. coupel problems, main one is my steering, the wheel is almost half a turn to the left for the truck to be going straight, lot of play in it, cant get it checked out till monday so any ideas on how bad this could be? (i'm guessing steering box) :shrugani:

its a '93 f-150 super cab 4x4. 2nd problem is i need a skid plate for over the transfer case. any one got one of them or know a site where i can find them? (been looking, even e-bay dont seem to have any) i also need a tail gate and front bumper if any one has one they want to get rid of.

359071[/snapback]

For your steering... ford sucked ass in the early 90's with their twin traction beam front axles. I know this because i have a 90 full size Bronco and a 91 F-150 used for parts. I've replaced a steering gearbox, the full front steering setup (tie rods, drag link, inner links...) and radius arm bushings (arms coming from axle to frame). I still have play in my wheel, but not as much as I did. The only thing left for me to do is replace the ball joints... $50.00 a side, upper and lower ball joints, and the small u-joint/cv joint on the steering shaft itself.

Here's a break down of what you're looking at for brand new parts...

Steering gearbox $180.00

Tie rods, drag link

inner tie rods $130.00

Ball joints (both sides

upper and lower) $100.00

Steering shaft joint $??.?? Probably around 25 bucks.

Grand total $400.00 - 450.00

Now, these figures are from Napa, and I have a military discount with them, so it may be more, or it may be less. They steering gearbox can be picked up at a salvage yard off of any F-150, 250, 350, or fullsize Bronco... 86 - 96 I believe. Everything else with have to be purchased brand new.

If you hear popping sounds while turning... it's either ball joints, or tie rods. If you hear grinding or feel the wheel jerk really bad, it's probably the gearbox. If you hear neither of those and you're steering feels "squishy" and the wheel doesn't line up straight, it's probably just the joint on the steering shaft. Being that your truck is 12, going on 13 yrs old, start gradually replacing each of those items. You won't regret it in the long run.

I bought my F-150 off of a co-worker for $200.00... doesn't run, but the body and various parts are good. You may want to find a deal like that for a couple hundred bucks... you'll save a shit load on parts. I took the gearbox, transmission, 2 doors, interior dash/door panels, and windows already... saved myself thousands of dollars for new parts, and only paid 200.00.

A brand new chrome bumper for one runs around 130.00, and a taligate is about 99.00 (JC Whitney). They have just about the cheapest prices around for replacement panels and accessories. I'd gladly sell you mine, but shipping from MT to PA would n't be worth it.

pyro, check out www.fordtruckworld.com im sure they can help. if you put a chevy sticker on it you might as well just take it to a junk yard  :evil:

359125[/snapback]

If you put chevy stickers on a ford that would be a disgrace to all chevy's...A ford cant be helped...they will always be At the bottom of the list :yank::yank::yank::yank:

If you put chevy stickers on a ford that would be a disgrace to all chevy's...A ford cant be helped...they will always be At the bottom of the list  :yank:  :yank:  :yank:  :yank:

359200[/snapback]

you fucking chevy guys just crack me up

sounds like a bent tie rod sleeve, or something is way out of adjusment. steering wheels dont just go crooked, what did you hit, or what didnt you maintain. could also be a very loose tie rod end. and for Screamin_Demon try to adjust the play in the steering box. ford will get looseness in the steering box.

Screamin_Demon try to adjust the play in the steering box. ford will get looseness in the steering box.

359888[/snapback]

I thought about it, but had a buddy turn my wheel just in the "play zone" and the gearbox is dead on with the steering shaft below the joint, and the pitman arm moves, but the tires lag a bit. Plus my front end pops still while backing up. In my situation, I know what caused the damage besides it being a ford :rolleyes:and being 15 yrs old. The previous owner aired it out on a hillside and landed hard on the front end.

Despite the front end problems and the transmission, can't beat a 4x4 SUV with a removable top, near perfect body, strong motor, 6 inch lift, 35x12.5x15 in procomp mud terrains, and a full brush guard for 3500.00. I figure the lift ran around 1500.00 with shocks, and the tires and rims ran about 1200.00... so the bronco itself ran 800.00.

If you cover it in Chevy stickers, at least noone will want to steal it. :lol: I'll stack my Ford up to any Chevy, any day of the week. And we'll see where it goes from there. As for the front end woes, you have to track down the problem. You could have a radius arm problem, tie rod(s), ball joints, any combination of them, or a steering box. I am thinking I would start out with having a buddy get int he truck, and turn the wheel about a half a turn, back and forth, kind of slowly. Observe all components involved. (everything mentioned above) and see what doesn't look right. A tie rod end can have play side to side, or up and down. A ball joint, same thing. For those, you can jack up either side, and grab the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position(s). Give the tire shakes, (pulling out with one hand, and pushing in with the other, alternating the two, and feeling for play.) For the tie rods, just have a look see. Steering box, same thing. Also, the driver side beam has been known to crack under the spring perch. Check that you have not experienced this. It is more prone on Northern trucks, especially with a plow, but has been seen other places.