trans won't shift

i was riding my banshee tonight and every thing was ok untill i was downshifting to first and it wouldn't go in.when i got home i checked it out and it will only go into 2nd and 3rd.it won't go down into first or up into 4th.any one have any ideas?it was fine before this and wasn't beating on it.wanted to go to the dunes this weekend.i guess thats out.what could it be? thanks

Sounds to me like your shift fork is bound up. Tip it up on its side & pull the clutch cover off, you'll probably(hopefully) find that the shift forks popped out & is bound up on the shift star. Kind of hard to explain, but if you look you'll see what I'm talking about. If so, take a screwdriver & get the forks back into place on the shift star. For a temp. fix to get you through the weekend, after you get everything un-bound, take your shifter off & throw a rubber washer on the shaft, followed by another one or two and put the shifter back on. This will help to hold the shaft over in hopes that the forks don't pop out again. :cheers:

I had that happen and it was only a $2 part. If you take the clutch cover off you will see where the shift rod pivots on a bolt that has a flat head. Behind the flat head is a nut with a tab washer behind it. Most likey this nut has come loose or the weird looking bolt with the flat head broke. I couldn't get that bolt in at the stealership before I went riding so I just took a bolt of that size and cut the head of it off. After I cut the head of it off I used a hack saw and cut a line in top of the bolt to make it a flathead bolt. Whala, your back riding for under $2.