wont go into gear

i was riding the banshee an then i stoped an when i went to ttake off it wouldnt engage 1st gear, like the clutch is slipping what can that be? do i need a new clutch? the clutch handle works an moves, so its not jammed up, but it seems like it cant grab,,,,can someone help me?

Will it go into any other gears? Do you only have 2 gears that it will go into? ( like 1 and 2 or 2nd and 3rd). If yes to both questions, and your clutch lever feels normal it's probably the shift detent, it's a little lever that ratchets your gears back and forth. It will pop out of place and catch. I have had this happen a few times. If you think this is it, let me know and I will explain how to fix.

Will it go into any other gears? Do you only have 2 gears that it will go into? ( like 1 and 2 or 2nd and 3rd). If yes to both questions, and your clutch lever feels normal it's probably the shift detent, it's a little lever that ratchets your gears back and forth. It will pop out of place and catch. I have had this happen a few times. If you think this is it, let me know and I will explain how to fix.

334864[/snapback]

it goes into all the gears, the clutch jsut wont catch like its slipping

334864[/snapback]

I am having this problem, stuck with only 1st and 2nd gear and cant get nuetral. I also have a few metal shavings. Is the problem just in the clutch cover area?

I am having this problem, stuck with only 1st and 2nd gear and cant get nuetral. I also have a few metal shavings. Is the problem just in the clutch cover area?

335292[/snapback]

Tony E, Take the clutch cover off (whole thing) look at the shift star, (it has the pins on it) there is a ratchet that moves the gears back and forth, the ratchet should be catching the pins, yours is probably off and is stuck on the outside of the pins. Just use a screwdriver to "pop" it back into place. This is more than likely to happen again after it happens once. I usually replace the shift rod ,detent, and spring to solve the problem. Parts are not that expensive, maybe $40 for everything. Hope this helps you out!

Tony E, Take the clutch cover off (whole thing) look at the shift star, (it has the pins on it) there is a ratchet that moves the gears back and forth, the ratchet should be catching the pins, yours is probably off and is stuck on the outside of the pins. Just use a screwdriver to "pop" it back into place. This is more than likely to happen again after it happens once. I usually replace the shift rod ,detent, and spring to solve the problem. Parts are not that expensive, maybe $40 for everything. Hope this helps you out!

335501[/snapback]

So what really causes this, I've got a 92 and happened once last year so I popped it back in place (after going home) then put a washer between the shifter and the stator cover (per Banshee HQ:)). It happened a couple of weeks ago at the dunes and fixed it in my trailer. But what CAUSES the problem. My thought was to replace all the parts, if thats the reason.... thanks

So what really causes this, I've got a 92 and happened once last year so I popped it back in place (after going home) then put a washer between the shifter and the stator cover (per Banshee HQ:)). It happened a couple of weeks ago at the dunes and fixed it in my trailer. But what CAUSES the problem. My thought was to replace all the parts, if thats the reason.... thanks

336422[/snapback]

Bent shift forks. I did the same thing to help remedy mine...and it worked...but only for a while. Got a shift fork assymbly from an 01, installed it, have had no problems since. :cheers:

Bent shift forks.  I did the same thing to help remedy mine...and it worked...but only for a while.  Got a shift fork assymbly from an 01, installed it, have had no problems since. :cheers:

336424[/snapback]

I must be hard on my shifter, I used to have this problem about once a year so I just replace it every year!