Octane Boost

05bansh

So I am running a Noss Head with 19cc domes. I havent gone riding yet since I have installed the head. I am planning on running 50/50 race gas & pump gas. So what does everyone think of using octane boost compared to the 50/50 mix? I'm sure the 50/50 will be better, but I am thinking of maybe just using some octane boost with the pump gas once in a while. Any opinions?

You can use octane booster if you want, Im sure there are more than enough people on here willing to sell you a new motor! :blink: I would stay away from in myself. :bolt:

So I am running a Noss Head with 19cc domes.  I havent gone riding yet since I have installed the head.  I am planning on running 50/50 race gas & pump gas.  So what does everyone think of using octane boost compared to the 50/50 mix?  I'm sure the 50/50 will be better, but I am thinking of maybe just using some octane boost with the pump gas once in a while.  Any opinions?

327813[/snapback]

or go with 101 or even 103 octane gas from VP and avoid the hassle of 50/50 mixing. That is what i do, perfect and no problems.

328435[/snapback]

I would be all about that if I had access to it here in utah. The only Vp I have found is 112 octane for 5.00/gal. I was going to run the 50/50 with the 112 VP and 91 out of the pump.

the octane boost at auto zone is a gimmick. if you want to boost your octane safely with out race gas you can go to Lowes and buy a gallon of xylene. It is $10 but it is 117 octane. 4 gallons of 93 and 1 gallon of xylene would be around 97 octane. If you read the bottle of octane boost it says it will raise your octane by some number of points. They mean decimal points not full whole number points. ie 93 would go to 93.3 not 96.

If you want to figure out how much race gas it takes to achieve a certain octane level you take (octane of race x number of gallons) + (octane of pump gas x number of gallons) divide all that by total number of gallon

so 1 gallon of 112 and 4 gallons of 91 would be

((112x1)+(4x91))/5 = 95.2

Edited by 1800bigk

I guess I should have told you what octane boost I have, I bought some rocket fuel from rocky mountain atv. (they recommended) And I have some VP octane booster. But I think you guys have talked me out of it so I will just run the 50/50.

oh that stuff may be different that the auto zone junk. read the ingriedeints, if it has toluene or xylene as the first ingriedient then it may be the real deal.

Another thing if your compression is not over 155 or 160 and you run over 93 octane you are effectively retarding your ignition timing because of the burn characteristics of higer octane fuels.

Edited by 1800bigk