The late, great Hunter S. Thompson

Lee

I figured there must be some HQ fans of the 'gonzo journalist' Hunter S. Thompson.

If you haven't seen the news, he died yesterday.... I figured it would have been an OD, but then again, if you've had as many chemicals as that guy has and made it through...an OD is probably an unlikely occurance.... Might be a night to watch Fear in Loathing in Las Vegas....

Hunter S. Thompson, commits suicide at 65

hunter.jpg

R.I.P. Hunter.

who?????  :shrugani:

327243[/snapback]

Hunter was a writer for ESPN, the author of "Fear in Loathing in Las Vegas", and he wrote the book "The Hells Angels" after travelling with them for a while.

If you've seen the movie "where the buffalo roam" with Bill Murray; that was inspired by Hunter's times and experiences.

Was never a dull story with anything he wrote about. Not exactly the Mark Twain of his era but he was one of those people who's life was completely 'out there' that what would normally be just your run-of-the-mill event coverage would end up being a personified adventure about real events/experiences... in otherwords, he was a horse of a different color.

Yes, it was written by Hunter S. Thompson about his trip to Vegas while covering the desert bike races as a journalist. So he wrote it about himself and they later on, around 1998, made a movie based on the book.

And yeah, just like thecabinboy mentioned, "Where the Buffalo Roam" is hard to come acrossed but it's also another great movie inspired by Hunter's experiences.

wasn't fear and loathing loosely based on a true story, about a rolling stones journalist er something? great movie in my opinion. Suicide is a permanant solution to a temporary problem. R.I.P. bro

327584[/snapback]

am i the only one who thought fear and loathing in las vegas sucked ballz???

that was up there on my list as the dumbest film ive ever seen other than the royal tenenbaums.if that movie is any indication of his life im not going to be sheddng a tear for that whack job ,suicide is the most selfish cowardly act a person can do .its for pussys! real men stick it out through the hard times ,our lives as shitty as they seem at times ,are the greatest gift and should be preserved at all costs .real men dont cower in fear and regret in a corner with a pistol in thier mouth,anyway thats my .02 :shootself:

Edited by rocketboy