What chip for my truck

Proquad101

ive got a three gauge pillar in my 2001 cummins. its got tranny temp, boost and egt gauges. i just had a local diesel shop install them cuz it looks like a pain to me. my truck has a BD chip thats been pretty good. also before i had my full 4 inch exhaust and k and n installed the egts got really high. now they arent as bad. i was making 22 pounds of boost. today i put a turnbuckle on the wastegate arm to keep it shut and am building 30+ pounds now and the egts barely get above 900. thanks to Bdbanshee for the turnbuckle idea. works sweeet!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive got a three gauge pillar in my 2001 cummins. its got tranny temp, boost and egt gauges. i just had a local diesel shop install them cuz it looks like a pain to me. my truck has a BD chip thats been pretty good. also before i had my full 4 inch exhaust and k and n installed the egts got really high. now they arent as bad. i was making 22 pounds of boost. today i put a turnbuckle on the wastegate arm to keep it shut and am building 30+ pounds now and the egts barely get above 900. thanks to Bdbanshee for the turnbuckle idea. works sweeet!!

344052[/snapback]

I agree with you loco, it looks like it would be pain in the ass to install. Did they charge alot?

I agree with you loco, it looks like it would be pain in the ass to install. Did they charge alot?

344360[/snapback]

They're really not that hard, as long as you aren't afraid to drill and tap into something you don't want to be making mistakes on. :P Putting them in the cab and mounting is baby shit.

But, if you have the cash and the time to let go of your truck, it's your call.

I modded my MAP circuit.  It currently doesn't even have the wires plugged into it anymore.  You take a 1K ohm resistor  and attach one end to the center wire, and the other end to the left wire.  You then take a 10K ohm resistor and attach one end to the center wire, and the other end to the right wire.  (when looking at the truck from the front)  I don't remember the color codes.  SOmeone posted it on TDS awhile ago.  I decided to try it.  It really does work.  It makes for a litte smoke.  i know this, because my truck did NOT smoke hardly at all.  It gets a little now.  :confused:  All I know is I can clear 25 PSI no problem now.  Without the truck getting pissed off.  :headbang:

343397[/snapback]

boonman, thanx for the info I'll give it a try. :cheers: A little extra smoke doesn't bother me, but with fuel prices these days I hope it doesn't hurt the mileage :shrugani: ...then again that's the price we pay for performance, eh? :headbang:

344360[/snapback]

i think it was around 500 bucks for gauges, pillar and install. might be a little high but it was well worth it to me. i can see where they were working and routing shit and i wouldnt want any part of it. plus if something goes wrong theyll have to fix it. i had a problem with mine and took it back in and they fixed it on the spot. its kinda like a warranty and to me saving a few extra bucks isnt worth it.

I have all Autometer Ultra-Lite guages. I have a 4-pillar pod. It was a breeze to install. I have done several installs on guages as well. It is nothing tricky about it. Well, locating the proper wires to tap into was a bit troublesome. BUT, I can provide you with the wiring colors to tap. All you need is the dash light wire and the ignition hot wire when the key is on. Other than that, I drilled my driver side exhaust pipe, right off the manifold. I drilled with an "F" drill, which is a few thousandths over 1/4" in diameter. The EGT probe slid right in, and it came with a stainless clamp to hold it in place. I haven't had a problem with leaks yet, and I haven't heard of any from others either. Be sure to put the EGT probe in before the turbo. The turbo sucks away too much heat, and it won't be accurate. To give yo an idea, max temp pre-turbo on a Powerstroke is around 1200-1250. Post turbo is 850-900. (F) Anyways, the boost guage, you can tee into the MAP line, or just completely remove the map sensor line and do the electronic mod that I did and connect the line that used to go to the MAP sensor and use it for your boost guage. The tranny guage sender goes into the tranny on the drivers side, where there is a test guage port, that is plugged with an 1/8" NPT plug. I also have a volt guage, because I don't have one in the dash. Simple. and some of the sponsors of the Diesel Stop website sell pre-wired guage pod kits. If you are in my area, Stop by, and I'll help ya do it. And the mileage thing, an exhaust and intake will help your mileage, and the chip will either help you if you can keep your fot out of it, (I can't) or even with your foot in it, you still will pull what you used to stock. If I keep my foot out of it, I can see an honest MPG of about 16-17. i have heard mileage in the 20+ range, but I belive those to be fallacy. ALthough, I haven't modded my fuel system yet, to get the air from leaking in to stop. But that's a story for another day. If you want ot buy guages, talk to SRedish. He will hook you up.

On the 7.3's, 16 - 17 mpg is good mileage. That's about what you can expect if all is well. I"ve heard of going over, but it's kind of rare. My dad's modded 2wd 7.3 would get 19 on the highway, but don't expect a 4wd to get that. My 4wd 7.3 got 16 to 17 and on occasion, under 75 on the highway, downhill with the wind at my back, I could get 18, but rare.

6.0's are a little different. I can honestly get right at 20 mpg on the highway going 75. Typically, in town, with my HEAVY foot, I get 16 to 18. Towing might push it down to 15 depending on the weight, but even then it's usually at 16.

If you are in my area, Stop by, and I'll help ya do it.

I'll be right over, you got beer right? :huh:

I always got beer. Licquor, whatever you want.

Guages take about 2-3 hours. Assembling and wiring the pod takes the longest. Actually installing it in the truck is a snap. An exhaust, about 45 minutes. I did my exhaust in the parking lot here at work. I had a trip I was going on, and needed to get it on. They are slick to install. Easy. And intake, same way. If you have organized tools, it should take you about 30-40 minutes to do an intake. Fuel mileage on my truck just went very far south this tank. I don't know what is up. It seems as though I lost about 10 gallons somewhere. :unsure: Also, there was a rash of bad Diesel fuel here from Sunoco. Smoked ALOT of engines, and even more injectors. I am wondering if that may have hapened to me. (injector) I guess I will have to check my oil. See if I have any fuel in there.

If you don't have guages, yes.  Towing will get your EGT's up there quite considerably.  You should also be monitoring your tranny temps to make sure nothing funny is going on there.

346336[/snapback]

I was told not to pull a trailer with the chip set on the 75hp because it will lean out the motor to much, how reliable is the stock tranny gauge?

screw the chip, convert it to run on french fry oil!  save some $$ on gas!  Stop by Mc D's and fill her up!

346358[/snapback]

I have a ford, not the car off of back to the future, I cant just stuff shit in the food processor to make it run. It would cool if I could. :D