Titanium Swing

Mudd&Moo

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured this would happen sooner or later.

I am a certified aerospace welder and am currently certified in titanium. You guys see the blue on that weld down the beam? If a titanium weld turns blue its concidered NO GOOD. If it turns white its SCRAP. To build a titanium swinger it has to be welded in an inert atmosphere(NO OXYGEN). After that it must go through an stress relive process within 72 hours of the first weld being done. This also has to be done in an ovenn with an inert atmosphere.  It costs about 200.00 to fill a chamber with argon big enough to weld a swing arm. These processes to fabricate titanium is so costly that There is no way to make them cost effective. The welds these  have are no good and they polish them to take away the discloration but its still a defective weld. In a nutshell the bad welds and the weld zone (heat affectted area) are brittle and will break like this one. Glad your not hurt.

Titanium isn't the best material for suspension because it will flex alot but will break before bending unless its heated to 1400 degrees to take a shape.

Hope this helps others in making a decision.

Gary @ quicksand

318009[/snapback]

Glad I sold mine and went with you. Gary=king shit of fabrication :notworthy: Mudd&Moo unlike Rax Gary stands behind his shit 100% he takes alot of pride in his work and will not sell you a bad product. Pretty much everything he builds is custom to suit your needs. I wouldnt trust anybody else with my suspension. Just my $0.02

So ill take it as you had one of these rax ones. Im still working with the BBB and their reply was it was fixed to their standard, but i could have paid them another $130 to get it polished like new. ya right not with those gouges and shorter that what i need and ya and cant forget its tweaked couterclockwise

Yeah I had one, and like you I was friggin excited about it. I kept braggin about it to everybody just saying how it was so much lighter and how strong it is because it's TITANIUM!!! Even Gary warned me about titanium before and I just brushed it off because I went to Shane at Rax's house (he doesnt work there anymore) and he told me that the guy thats doing the welding is one of the best and blah blah blah lifetime warranty blah blah blah. Of course I ate it up Because hell it only costed me 700 bucks and it was TITANIUM man! Well after time went by I decided I wanted to change my setup and I sold my swinger back to Shane for the same amount I purchased it and went with Gary @ Quicksand. A couple months after I went with Gary something happened at Glamis with one of the Rax frames it just fell apart while somebody was going 75+ up oldmobile luckily the guy didnt get seriously injured and from there Rax's name just went down the pooper. I'm sorry this shit happened to you man all I can say is to nail those guys to the wall. it's not like theyre building air freshners for our bikes. our lives literally depend on the quality of these parts they give us. If you let them get away with this shit chances are somebody else could get seriously hurt or even worse.... Next time you contact the BBB tell them exactly what Gary told you about the discoloration of the welds Take a good pic of them because Gary is 100% right about it. I heard one of the rax guys talking shit about lonestar's welding because the titanium was discolored. Make a post in www.Planetsand.com about this too. Best of luck and I hope you get your money back!

Heres my new Quicksand swinger

swinger19xg.jpg

fire5dk.jpg

• 3 weeks later...