Help With Bad Coil?

long story short. my bike ran great one day and that night we got a little snow and it got really cold and the next day it wouldn't start. Now i got no spark. i tested my stator with a multimeter n i got readings but when i tok off my coil and check the leads i only get a reading for the primary leads ( when i touch the positive tester to the positive terminal on the coil and the black tester to the black (ground) terminal ).now when i touch a tester to the corresponding wire to test the secondary leads i get nothing.is this a case of bad wires? the other question i have is , is it ok to just pull those wires off and get a new one, cut it to length and get new caps for them?

Edited by sandman121383

long story short. my bike ran great one day and  that night we got a little snow and it got really cold and the next day it wouldn't start. Now i got no spark. i tested my stator with a multimeter n i got readings but when i tok off my coil and check the leads i only get a reading for the primary leads ( when i touch the positive tester to the positive terminal on the coil and the black tester to the  black (ground)  terminal ).now when i touch a tester to the corresponding wire to test the secondary leads i get nothing.is this a case of bad wires?  the other question i have is , is it ok to just pull those wires off and get a new one,  cut it to length and get new caps for them?

310659[/snapback]

Dude I just changed out stators and having similar problem. My ''shee starts and runs it just doesn't wind up without spitting poppong and all that good stuff. So I did the same ohm test as you got the reading for promary but not for the leads... I think there is something else more to it. I have spark .

I wouldn't go changing the plug wires just yet.

Was your 'shee left out where it might have gotten wet from the snow? If so bring her in by the fire and dry all connections out.

Ok I changed my wires. Dale @ Dale's Jetsports told me to use the ohm meter one on each wire is the way to check.

They were the only thing not checkingout..

It's kinda a bitch the change them from the coil. The clip that holds them broke on mine.

Just pull the old wires out and clean the holes up. And check the coil just to make sure it's good.

I used 7mm plug wires and silicon the crap out of the wires at the coil. Just check the wires with a ohm meter to make sure they got good connection...

B

Benbb can tell yas how to test a stator. I had troubles testing my stator. Put a new stator in and it fired right up. Check all the basic wiring problems like melted wires or a broken ground. Check your tether and kill switches. Check everything electrical related and swap em if you can with known good working parts. Ebay is a great place to buy stock electriacal parts. You can get CDIs and coils and stators all day on ebay.

Process of elimination. Check and double check every part in the electrical system. Be 100% sure each part is working correctly before checking the next part. Go over the whole system from the stator to TORS to the sparkplugs with a fine tooth comb.

• 2 weeks later...
Dude I just changed out stators and having similar problem.  My ''shee starts and runs it just doesn't wind up without spitting poppong and all that good stuff.  So I did the same ohm test as you got the reading for promary but not for the leads...  I think there is something else more to it.  I have spark . 

I wouldn't go changing the plug wires just yet. 

Was your 'shee left out where it might have gotten wet from the snow?  If so bring her in by the fire and dry all connections out.

312759[/snapback]

98bonerstockshee did your shee run like shit,i have the same problem the primary side had a reading,but the second had nothing at all. my shee started up and reved,but it seemed to be breaking up and spitting.thanks :shrugani:

Dude I just changed out stators and having similar problem. My ''shee starts and runs it just doesn't wind up without spitting poppong

Since you guys are talking about stators I have question also :rolleyes: When testing to see if the stator is the problem is it possible for the stator to give a good readin on the ohm meter but still turn out to be bad. I have the same problem but I already tried swapping my coil with a buddy of mine and it still does the same shittttttttt banghead Sorry for stealing some of your thunder :notworthy: but am looking for answers too :confused:

don't have the TORS crap hooked up so that's definitely out of the question, but My stator did fall within specs but i haven't tried swapping CDI unit yet . Don't think my friend would like that idea though :bolt:

98bonerstockshee did your shee run like shit,i have the same problem the primary side had a reading,but the second had nothing at all. my shee started up and reved,but it seemed to be breaking up and spitting.thanks :shrugani:

320676[/snapback]

My 'shee would fire up and all, just wouldn't rev up.. The only thing that didn't test right were the plug wires... I was unsure if the stock plug wire could be changed, so I took my coil to my friends shop he told me to check with the ohm meter at the plug cap to plug cap. had no movement on the meter, so we took the wires out and then check from one end to the other end. Both wires were reading bad...

It's just a process of elimination!!

Changed them suckers out and the 'shee is back at 100%!!!

My 'shee would fire up and all, just wouldn't rev up..  The only thing that didn't test right were the plug wires...  I was unsure if the stock plug wire could be changed, so I took my coil to my friends shop he told me to check with the ohm meter at the plug cap to plug cap.  had no movement on the meter, so we took the wires out and then check from one end to the other end.  Both wires were reading bad... 

It's just a process of elimination!!

Changed them suckers out and the 'shee is back at 100%!!!

321641[/snapback]

ya i have 2 coils one off my 87 and one off a 01 i got off ebay with a wiring harness,both of them tested the same. i got power threw the wires but the secondarys on the coil won't read anything,so i ordered a coil yesterday hope its my problem.thanks