Prepping & Pre-race routine

sredish

Fellas,

Just curious as to your pre race routines and what you do to prep your machine for the race. I have my little routine, but I was just thinking if I was missing something or not. I always feel like I'm forgetting something.

The first race in our new year is this weekend and I've got a nice long list of crap to do to be ready. Our low for Sunday is 18 and our high is 34, so it'll be a nice chilly morning to say the least.

Later.

You might double check your jetting. I know its been pretty warm, and then to race when its that cold dont want to be leaning her out right after you put it back together. Clean filter, fresh oil, good plugs, I always run over most of the bolts on the bike, check the chain adjustments and slack. Good luck this weekend! Try not to pop sicle before you finish. You racing both series? Looks like we wont make it to a race until the March West race in Chico. So see ya then or sooner I guess. Build a track in your back yard already man!

I think you know what needs to be done anyway, you're just a post hoe!

Pretty much mine is just like a weekend ride, and I do that a few days or the weekend after the last ride (wash, grease, oil chain, clean air filter, check/change case oil, check radiator, check compression every month or so, look for anything loose when washin it, etc.). I got a weird habit of looking over my and my teammates quads when we're hanging out before the preride/race, always seem to happen upon something that needs attention. Once we've got 'em running and waiting to start I just try to relax, then when we're on the line I just visualise getting the holeshot.

Half seriously, I try to get some the night before too heh. I've found that what I lose in sleep I more than make up for with being relaxed and sporting a shit-eating grin through half the race :evil: And in my case the shit my friends give me about it is priceless too.

Other than that kick the tires and light the fires...

do you have a list of everything you need ? If so, post it.

Do you have enough Roll offs\tear offs ??

Double check all the front suspension nuts and bolts.

folding chairs

gas

ama and district cards if the track requires em.

Camelback full of liquid.

camera

Everyone tells me to drink a ton of water the days just before the race. Ride smooth and smart. don't kill yourself on the first lap. And dont forget to turn the gas "on" :headbang: .

Our first race is coming up on Feb 6th, I won't have my quad ready and frankly I don't care cause I don't wanna race in muddy ice and snow for my first race <_<:) .

Good luck with the race and represent that Banshee for us.

Edited by Meat

Since Monday I've completed the following to get the machine ready (some things were incompleted items from the rebuild):

reinstalled steering stabilizer

repaired pinhole leak in exhaust header

polished stator cover

cleaned and polished both pipes

replaced crankcase oil

drained and cleaned fuel tank

replaced fuel filter

soaked and cleaned chain

lubed cables

reinstalled nerf bars

swapped front main springs out for softer ones

rechecked alignment

polished shift lever (just cause it was there)

Things left to do before Sunday:

install and set chain

tweak the jetting (gonna pull airbox lid, it is cut tho)

check/adjust ride height

lube zerk fittings

check coolant

put on new preprinted number plates (changed numbers this season)

quit buffing shi

eat my wheaties

oh.. and "get some"

Things to do after this Sunday:

install quick-change clutch cover

install new lower rad hose

install new fenders and tank

install shortened swingarm

install dyna ignition

Hell, that's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there's more. You wanted a list and there it is. I'll be doing plenty of looking over Saturday and again Sunday morning. I just don't feel prepared this week. :shrugani:

Kilgore, Tx. Close to Tyler, Tx, a little more east on I-20.

Just found out, like 2 minutes ago, my bros wedding reception is tomorrow in Houston at 7:30. So, I've got to go from 1 hour north of Dallas to Houston, Tx tomorrow. Spend the night, then Sat. morning get up early and drive 4 hours to Kilgore to beat the afternoon races for a few laps on the course. Then sleep my ass off that afternoon. It's all good. :cheers:

Got all my little piddley shit done today as well, except for the jetting. I jetted up a little and got too rich, so I need to back off a little. New chain is on and i'm set.

Meat.

I got a nice big fat DNF! <_< It was a freaking mudfest. From sloppy goop to carb deep water crossings and everything in between, just really nasty. At the end of the second lap, I was going for a pass and hit some water too fast, and it was deeper than I remembered. Nonetheless, i got some water in the wrong places and she started misfing and fouled out. I couldn't get her to start back up good, she'd spit and pop, so I towed her back and DNF'ed it. After about an hour, she was starting back up and running like normal. There was mud and crap caked up in the plug boots and just everywhere. So, I got most of my "pre-race routine" stuff done, except for the electric grease in the plug boots and the other right places. Didn't realize it was going to be so muddy, and couldn't find any when I got there. Oh well.

Thanks for asking. :cheers:

I put a couple pics in the Images section.

yeah that race is always nasty...i almost dnf'ed myself...my seat came off...you might have seen it i was in your class...sucks to hear about the banshee better luck next time....i hope so also.

308716[/snapback]

Hey man, I was looking for you. Didn't seem to catch up to you. We were along the fence by the frontage road. There was a white Dodge, a black F250 and a Toy Hauler camper, two Banshees, a Blaster and a Grizzly.

You gonna head to Big Springs, TX? I'm going to try for the West series for the most part. There are quite a few East ones that are close as well, so I'll maybe try to double up on some if possible. I need the handlebar time.

Cool, well hope to catch you next time.

Scott

i was right in that island like right in the middle of the camp ground....now that i think about like right across from you. I might try for the west race but i need to find out how far it is. If that does not work out ill be at the gilmore race for sure. I will keep you posted to let you know which race i plan to go to.