Moto 4 80 valve adjustment

Ok, I got my little Moto 4 80 running. Cleaned the carb, new battery, adjusted the valves, new plug, cleaned the air filter and it fired right up. I let it sit about twenty minutes, started it up again, great. Let it sit a bit more, had a few brews and tinkered with some other shit, went back and it wont start, wont fire up, starter works and all, just wont fire. Opened up the intake valve nut, took a look and the valve backed down, shut. Adjusted it again, started right up, let it sit and just wouldnt fire again, same problem with the intake valve. I tightened the nut on the valve itself tight after I adjusted it, but it just keeps backing down and shutting. Am I doing something wrong? Am I forgetting to do something? Little help please, thanks.

Bob

Is the threaded part sloppy or loose, like it wiggles from side to side? it could be wore, and causes the nut to work loose.

What did you set the gap at? maybe too tight or too loose?

maybe the threads are stripped?

Maybe try a small piece of teflon tape around the threads between the nut and the threads or a little loctite, but I'm not sure how either one would hold up with heat and oil.

I know that it's a common problem with that motor(i read that somewhere), same problem with my nephews' raptor 80. The valves go out of wack very easy. not like your describing, but maybe every 6 months or so this little raptor needs one. Check the exhaust valve. If i'm not mistaken, thats usually the one thats out. I dont have the clearences on me but can get em before the end of the night.

Hey, thanks alot for the info all. The threads on the valve are not sloppy but it just backs down for whatever reason. I dont know, maybe when I'm tightening the nut on the valve I'm closing it up most of the way and when I start it it closes up the rest. :shrugani: Gonna give your method a try Otis in the AM, thanks.

Bob B)