Can a Crank be rebuilt?

USMCRider

I may be asking a stupid question but I think I burned up a my crank. :( Can a stock crank be rebuilt? I just replaced the original one from when I got the 'shee. I got the 'shee for free and just had to rebuild it. :clap: The crank it came with was bad and I rebuilt the engine... i.e. new crank, new pistons bore job new gaskets.....

If they can be rebuilt does anyone know of someone who can do it? and also does anyone know if there could be a problem causing these to burn up bearings... or could I just have gotten a crank that was already going bad???

Thanks for the help guys I know I can count on you....

I'm pretty sure you can have it rebuilt. A good machine shop could probably do it. I'd ask around your area and if you cant find a place that will do it then try the internet. If no luck with that then you probably will just need a new one :shrugani:

I may be asking a stupid question but I think I burned up a my crank. :(  Can a stock crank be rebuilt?  I just replaced the original one from when I got the 'shee.  I got the 'shee  for free and just had to rebuild it. :clap:  The crank it came with was bad and I rebuilt the engine... i.e. new crank, new pistons bore job new gaskets.....

If they can be rebuilt does anyone know of someone who can do it?  and also does anyone know if there could be a problem causing these to burn up bearings... or could I just have gotten a crank that was already  going bad???

Thanks for the help guys I know I can count on you....

288824[/snapback]

burnt up bearings mean no enough oil in premix or air leak. TDR racing is probably the best/cheapest place around to rebuild them. I think mine was $385 welded and with long rods installed....... They have a website, just search google for them...

Nope No sand riding I live on the east coast and dont have anywhere near by. I ripped the eng out the other night and it turned out the crank did eat the lower rod bearing again banghead ... but this time it was the right side whereas the last time the left was eaten up. Any ideas as to why??? other then pre-mix I am sure my Mix was correct... But I will pay extra attention to it next time. But anyway, do I have to bring my crank to a machine shop to put a new rod on it or can I do it myself?? anyone doen it before???

All you need to rebuild the crank is a guy with a press and then some way of balancing it when it is back together. If you are really hard up for balancing the crank it can be done on a granite table with feeler gauges though I wouldn't recommend it unless you are very experienced as screwing up such things.

:P

burnt up bearings mean no enough oil in premix or air leak.  TDR racing is probably the best/cheapest place around to rebuild them.  I think mine was $385 welded and with long rods installed.......  They have a website, just search google for them...

289039[/snapback]

or you can get a brand new hot rods crank for $365 from hell-bound racing on ebay.

I was told that the pins that the rods and needle bearings slide onto tend to get marred when you trash a crank. You can rebuild the crank a dozen times but those pins are gonna wear out the needle bearings faster no matter what. You can get a builder to rebuild a crank on a fresh core but I think cores run like $250 or some crazy shit. Considering you can get a +4 that's 100% rebuildable for about $400 I don't think its even worth it to try and salvage a stock crank.