What to look for when buying carbs?

Adrenalized

Hi, My name's Eric and i'm a Yamaholic. I recently picked up my 1st shee, bone stock 87, tore it apart cause i wanna get an a-arm frame. I'm looking at getting some newer carbs and need some input. All this chit about 28mm-36mm, flat-side/round-side..etc. makes my face hurt. banghead I definitely wanna get rid of that TORS crap as well. I don't have any pipes yet either. I ride mostly trails, sand/gravel pits and i'm about 1100ft. above sea level. I live in the sticks of Northern Mass. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You shouldn't worry about carbs yet. Get the pipes first, then a K&N air filter. Port your reeds and use TDR single .018 pettles. Get a aftermarket head and use 20cc domes. Advance the timing 4 degrees.You will need to run some trick fuel about 50/50 mix with regular. Now the jetting should be about 310 or 320 with the clip on the needle moved down to the middle notch. After these mods you can think about some new carbs.

You shouldn't worry about carbs yet. Get the pipes first, then a K&N air filter. Port your reeds and use TDR single .018 pettles. Get a aftermarket head and use 20cc domes. Advance the timing 4  degrees.You will need to run some trick fuel about 50/50 mix with regular.  Now  the jetting should be about 310 or 320 with the clip on the needle moved down to the middle notch. After these mods you can think about some new carbs.

284864[/snapback]

im gonna have to disagree a little here. first off i would agree by saying that carbs can wait. go for a k and n filter but id use v force delta 2 reeds. they are proven and so far i dont think there is anything that will top them. im sure many hqers will attest to this. as for aftermarket head i would go with a noss head. "dlnoss" on this site can get you set up with one. as for mixing 50/50 race/pump mix i dont think you will feel much of a difference. i think stock is like 22 or 23 cc domes. if you wanna run race fuel id go for something smaller like 18 or 19cc domes. jetting should be around 310 to 340 mains and 27.5 pilots on stock carbs. all engines are different, but im at 1000 feet above sea level and thats what we have always run around here.