400EX's

iceman

Does anyone recommend a 400EX, My dad is looking at an 04. He won't go with a YFZ450 because the salesman said they are too fast for him. He also doesnt want a Banshee because he's a girl...I mean he doesnt want the speed. I get the quad for a graduation gift. Does anyone like them, or dislike them? Do they have any known defects? Can you make them fast? And is there anyway to get rid of those goofy headlights?

Does anyone recommend a 400EX, My dad is looking at an 04.  He won't go with a YFZ450 because the salesman said they are too fast for him.  He also doesnt want a Banshee because he's a girl...I mean he doesnt want the speed.  I get the quad for a graduation gift.  Does anyone like them, or dislike them?  Do they have any known defects?  Can you make them fast?  And is there anyway to get rid of those goofy headlights?

280831[/snapback]

For the money there the most reliable used quad there is. From my experiance there bullit prof. Not that fast but for most people they are fast enough.

I agree w/2004LEBanshee. I/m pretty much the only Yamaha locally. If you plan on buying new.....definately get an '05....they look like the 450R's, and also have reverse. I wouldn't mind having one myself, but would rather have a YFZ. It doesn't sound like you're dealing with a very cool salesman if he's telling you something is too fast..YFZ's are fast, but I don't know about TOO fast. I think a 400EX would be just about perfect if your dad doesn't want a YFZ. If it's for you...I would REALLY try to talk him into a YFZ...there's a big difference in preformance between the two. As for making a 400 fast....I guess it depends on what you think is fast. I don't think you could make a 400 as fast as a stock YFZ. I have a buddy with a 440EX, R-4 pipe, cam, filter, and even though it will keep up with me on the bottom end....he can't touch me as soon as I'm in 3rd. Just my .02

Josh

My nephew and his dad both have 400ex's. The one has had no maintence at all, it's like a Timex watch, takes a lick'n and keeps on tic'n. After three years of use(abuse), it's starting to burn oil, but not much. The other has had 440 kit w/ porting and cam, it goes pretty good,great power. They handle really good for trail riding, are good on fuel consumption too. My nephew is able to do some great stunts with his. He can do wheelies while sitting on the handle bars, he can also do wheelies the farthest I've ever seen, seen him go over a quater mile in an open hay field. No BS.

I don't like the ergonomics, seem cramped to me. The rear brake is too hard to stab with the foot, easy fix, but the shifter is way to close to the peg for me wearing riding boots. I rode his today, just can't seem to get used to 4 stroke power, too low in the rpm. The price is good on them right now, especially for '04's. Time will tell if Honda will continue to sell the 400ex, reverse on the new ones will help.

My buddy has a 99 model, He bought it brand new and it still has the same plug in it when he bought it..

Talk about easy quad to take care of clean the air filter and change the oil..lube the chain/cables ur done...

They're good quads, I have no complaints about mine. They're great trail bikes & fun to play on. You can make them fast, if you don't mind spending money. Like all other 4strokes, bolt on mods don't exactly do as much for performance like on a two stroke. But, on an EX, with a filter & full exhaust,...you'd be amazed at the power difference over stock. They run good & are dependable quads, handle good, decent suspension...if I were you, I'd shoot for an 05 model for the reverse option. ;)

Here's my(her :shootself: ) '01... :cheers:

IMG_0015.jpg

Thanks a lot guys. The salesman said that the 450's shut off if you're not constantly full throttle. Is this true? If my dad doesn't have to feather a clutch he might be ok with the 450. He barely knows how to shift as it is. I am going to try to talk him into the 450, then the 05 450. The problem is he only wants to spend like 5k which isnt enough for either 450s, or an 05 400, and it's not my money so I can't tell him what to do with it. I might end up selling it anyway and getting a two stroke down the line because I don't like the low end of four strokes either, it always feels like they're going to die. Thanks for the input.

Thanks a lot guys.  The salesman said that the 450's shut off if you're not constantly full throttle.  Is this true? 

281418[/snapback]

Sounds like your salesman is a friggan idiot. My buddy has a YFZ450 and it has never shut off on him. They are a little hard to take off sometimes but not much different from the banshee. They have a ton of midrange though and are awesome cornering machines. The suspension is also very adjustable which is a very nice plus. I dont care who you are this is an awesome quad to ride. Unless he wants reverse. Then get an 05 400ex.

Does anyone recommend a 400EX, My dad is looking at an 04.  He won't go with a YFZ450 because the salesman said they are too fast for him.  He also doesnt want a Banshee because he's a girl...I mean he doesnt want the speed.  I get the quad for a graduation gift.  Does anyone like them, or dislike them?  Do they have any known defects?  Can you make them fast?  And is there anyway to get rid of those goofy headlights?

280831[/snapback]

If your not out for the fastest quad on the market then a 400ex is a good quad. they are reliable, smooth and easy to ride, they handle and ride good. If you want to go fast then you gotta get a 2 stroke imo but if not a 400ex is a good quad...

Thanks a lot guys.  The salesman said that the 450's shut off if you're not constantly full throttle.  Is this true?  If my dad doesn't have to feather a clutch he might be ok with the 450.  He barely knows how to shift as it is.  I am going to try to talk him into the 450, then the 05 450.  The problem is he only wants to spend like 5k which isnt enough for either 450s, or an 05 400, and it's not my money so I can't tell him what to do with it.  I might end up selling it anyway and getting a two stroke down the line because I don't like the low end of four strokes either, it always feels like they're going to die.  Thanks for the input.

281418[/snapback]

I think that salesman is on crack. I have ridden a few yfz 450s and a couple trx 450r and lots and lots of 400ex over the years and Id say that the 450's compare very closely to the 400ex. as far as ease to use. They are much faster and better handleing than the 400ex. If he is comfortable on the ergos of the 450 than thats the quad for him. They are much easier to ride than a banshee and are just as easy to ride aas a 400ex Id say. Its all his call. the 4 strokes all have easy to ride style of smooth power.

Thanks a lot guys.  The salesman said that the 450's shut off if you're not constantly full throttle.  Is this true?  If my dad doesn't have to feather a clutch he might be ok with the 450.  He barely knows how to shift as it is.

281418[/snapback]

I believe what the salesman meant is that the YFZ450 requires more clutch work when trail riding in tight conditions. The clutch is stiffer than on the 400EX and the 450 is much easier to stall. In wide open conditions such as sand dunes or wide easy roads he should be OK on the 450. No question about the 400EX being more easy to learn on. I doubt if he would ever lack for enough power on the Honda to keep him grinning.

My buddy has a 99 model, He bought it brand new and it still has the same plug in it when he bought it..

Talk about easy quad to take care of clean the air filter and change the oil..lube the chain/cables ur done...

280954[/snapback]

my bro has one his airfilter is allways clean(mines not :shrugani: )...but he did have to change his plug(he used my gas and dident know i allready mixed it :lol: smoked like my banshee for a month :P ) great bike for wheelies, but so is the yfz450