Revitalizing a chain....

This afternoon I worked the dirty 03 shee. Most everything cleaned up real nice, and it was obvious what you guys were talking about with regard to replacing the stock air filter. Sheesh, what a hunk of junk.

Anyway, the bike's chain has not been maintained very well at all. It rolls well enough and I cleaned it up a bit with some cleaner, but the darn thing is pretty heavily rusted. What cleaning and lubricating technique/products are a good idea to try on this thing before I just throw it away and get a new DID or RK X-ring chain?

Also, since I'm from a street bike background and use sticky chain lube, I would guess this is NOT a good idea on a quad. What lubes/conditioners are you guys using on an o-ring or x-ring chain?

Thanks, Q

If its an original chain and there alot of ride time on it,I would just pitch it.You can tell by the sprockets if there also original.

I go through chains and sprockets yearly.No sense on running a chain that is suspect to leaving you stranded deep in the woods.

If its a newer chain,throw it in a bucket of oil for a couple days.The oil should help revitalze the orings

If the chain has just some surface rust and the o-rings are still in good condition (not cracked and dry rotted), I think it's worth saving. One method I've tried is "cooking" the chain in gear oil. Sneak a pan from the kitchen, put your chain in it, and pour enough gear gear oil to cover the chain. Heat the oil to about 212 degrees. Dont heat it too much or else it'll damage the o-rings. Let it cook for about 5 minutes. During this time, whatever moisture trapped in the o-rings should evaporate. After cooking, let the oil cool with the chain still in it. Leaving the chain to sit in the oil during the cooling process is supposed to draw oil into the o-rings. After it's cool, hang the chain to let the excess oil drip from it. Wipe off the remaining oil and re-install. I'm not sure if it actually works the way it's supposed to, but the theory behind sorta makes sense. I guess :confused: Anyway it's worked for me. Besides, whadaya got to lose?

Edited by 2stroker