Need Info.

antwa

I have standard front A-arms and suspension upfront, but the front wheels are flipped and I have spacers fitted at the back. My shee seem to be very unstable at high speeds, both on gravel and tar. Buddy told me it could be the wheels and I should flip them back. Do any of you have info on this? :confused:

Yeah its going to be unstable because wheel spacers are the cheater's way of getting a longer wheelbase. Harder on the bearings too. Good for a MX track or something, but not meant for alot of speed.

If you have a clymer manual do the toe in check. You say unstable...do you mean your tires wobble or it just handles like crap?

Flipping the tires gives you quite a bit more wheelbase, and spacers adds to that so you have really extended the wheelbase without redoing your suspension or a-arms. It would look cool for sure, but I would go back to the stock setup and try it and see.

Yeah its going to be unstable because wheel spacers are the cheater's way of getting a longer wheelbase. Harder on the bearings too. Good for a MX track or something, but not meant for alot of speed.

If you have a clymer manual do the toe in check. You say unstable...do you mean your tires wobble or it just handles like crap?

Flipping the tires gives you quite a bit more wheelbase, and spacers adds to that so you have really extended the wheelbase without redoing your suspension or a-arms. It would look cool for sure, but I would go back to the stock setup and try it and see.

Yes it handles like crap, cant ride it WOT in 6 it just swerves and shit. I agree that a should have the wheel alignment checked out at the Steelership.

I do most trail riding and cross-country, you think I should rather run a standerd setup?

I does look cool, I think that

Edited by antwa

flipping the wheels should only make it MORE stable at speed, and spacers on the back.. you should have a set-up more stable over stock fo show! Check your bearings and tire pressure, and get a degree wheel so you can keep em in line

Spacers are terrible for your bearings and I would NEVER run spacers on a mx track or any kind of jumping, because sooner or later, they will fail and become sloppy. That could be why it's unstable, or it could be the toe-in. Just measure center to center on the front tires at the front of the bike, then measure the front tires on the back side, 180 degrees from your first measurement and there should be no more than a difference of 1/4", 0 to 1/8th is best and the front should be the smaller number.

I'd lift the front wheels off the ground and check for wobble by hand and see if there's up and down movement, then I'd shitcan the spacers and pay up for a wider axle.