powdercoating prep work?

NugShee

Well, its raining out and I am going to tear the banshee apart and have some pieces powder coated. My question is this, can I grind some of the welds on the frame to smooth them out any or is there anyhting I should do to the frame before sending it off. I dont want to get it back and later find that I should have removed a bracket before I had it powder coated. Im in no hurry to get it done and would rather take my time so I have no regrets later. Also is there a way to have the stock A-arms powder coated? Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks again.

The stock a-arms can't be powdercoated, take off the bracket where the stock fender supports mount, if you have cut fenders (fronts). All of the small rubber grommets need to be taken off. Don't worry bout the stearing stem bushings and bearings the just cover em. oo and to save yourself a little time tape the pivot point on the rear break pedal off so you don't have to sand the PC off.

yep, you can grind off any brackets that you wont be using before the pc.also dont leave any thing on the frame that you dont want melted,curing for pc is done at a minimum 450degrees for about 10-20 minutes depending on the type of pc,and there are a few types.chances are that the powdercoater will remove them wile glass beading the frame but why chance it.also make sure that he plugs al the nessesary threaded holes,because you dont want the pc in the treads or you wont be happy.anyways around here pcers charge to degrease and glas bead parts,so if you can do one or both of those you can save yourself some loot.good luck scott

i wouldnt get too carried away grinding away welds. dont make the frame any weaker. you can cut off pipe brackets if you arent using stock ones. when i tear mine apart and have them powdercoated i go around and beef up alot of the welds. i also take and beef up the steering loop. ill add some shit under it and on top where the bend is. as for your threads my powdercoater just screws in some bolts. then as soon as the frame is done hell unscrew them out. as for stock a arms being powdercoated it is possible. the guy that does my stuff has done a set. theres a certain way you hang them to do it. he said the rubber shit on the ball joint will melt then reform when cooled. i wouldnt have them done unless your powdercaoter knows what hes doing.

wow guys, thanks for all the help. Now one of my problems is just deciding on a color. There are some very cool PC colors out there. Candy, Metalic, transparent, solid, pearlescent, holographic just to name a few. Anyways, If you can give me a little more info on how your buddy does the A-arms that would be awsome. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...