Right case cover..

Yama

Just wondering the process in polishing the right side cover. I have the clutch insert, water pump cover but the surroundings are black, I'd rather it be all silver or better yet polished much like the inserts. Is it a simple paint remove and polish up like any other alumi part or is something special needed, or rather reccommended from someone who has done this already?

Thanks for any small tips, just want to do it right the first time.

Just wondering the process in polishing the right side cover. I have the clutch insert, water pump cover but the surroundings are black, I'd rather it be all silver or better yet polished much like the inserts. Is it a simple paint remove and polish up like any other alumi part or is something special needed, or rather reccommended from someone who has done this already?

Thanks for any small tips, just want to do it right the first time.

Yep, Meat_Head is the BHQ polishing wizard and try to refer to his post as mentioned before.

I've polished the clutch cover and it came out very well.

First off, I used paint stripper and a plastic putty knife to get the paint off.

There are a lot of casting flaws to remove beforehand, I used a small 2nd-cut rat tail file, followed by emery cloth to remove large amounts of alloy.

All scratch marks and dents from boots etc, have to be removed before you start polishing, I used very fine water paper for this.

After that I just put it on a buffing wheel that I had mounted in the lathe and polished and polished and polished some more...

I mounted the wheel in my bench grinder previously, but the rpms were too high and I ended up with bits of buffing wheel and buffing paste all over the place. :D