Any computer wizzes on here?

Ok for all you computer gurus, I have a few questions. Ok, first one. Im usually on the internet on my laptop, and when I go to a webpage thats in my favorites, I never get updated information, i always have to refresh the page to get new private messages and new posts on here. doesnt happen on my other computer. ?????

Question two. I cant get DSL or Broadband at my house because of location, but someone told me something called ISDN connection? He said its like two 56k internet connections. Does anyone know anything about this or any other alternative to my dial-up?

Question three. My computer doesnt shut down, for months now the shut-down button on the start menu and the restart button do nothing. It will stand by, and hibernate, but to shut it down I have to do it manually by holding the power button.

Thanks!

1. CLick on Tools from inside internet explorer.

Click Internet Options

Click delete files in the middle of the page

Click on Settings

UNder Check for newer version of stored pages choose every visit to the page. (You are pulling cached pages from the hard drive. This will fix your first problem.

2. ISDN is 2 56K lines wired together so to speak. You need a special Modem for them. This is pricey. I would go with a satellite before I went ISDN. Mostly commercial businesses use ISDN.

3. Aaare you using windows 98, 2000, xp or ME? Check your power settings in control panel. Check power settings under BIOS.

yep all looks good. ISDN is basically just a dedicated Phone line for internet access. You can have one line (56K) or 2 (128K) the upside to ISDN is that you actually connect at 56 or 128, as opposed to the poor connections with 56K conventional modems. You still get charged for the line usage, and you will be hard pressed to find an Unlimited Use ISP. I would just deal with the 56K modem, and the $9.95/month unlimited access!

And about the not shutting down you may have to re-install Windows. If you have to call someone out to do that it will be expensive. Hopefully its just part of the power tools. It's a shame that I can download a copy of Windows XP Pro for free, install it for free, and get a cd key for free, when I would have to pay a lot of money to get some retard to come out and install it for me. :shootself:

the only satellite internet service out there is direcway .... powered by direct tiv... u have to get a seperate dish that is 700 bones.... and the service is 80 bucks a month.... my buddies say they get very good pings...some up to 580 kpbs... i would love to have 580 kpbs apposed to spiftysixk, i would even be lucky tyo get 56k, i get 26.4k .... wtf im gonna get satellite soon :yank:

Edited by bansheebob101

What everyone said is true. Also with the not shutting down, i know this was a problem on Win98 and if that's what you have you can go to microsofts site and download a patch for that. Also if dial up is the only thing available in your area, see if you can get netzero. I know that they have a so called high speed dial up for about $16.00 to $17.00 a month.

Late..

actually i looked itnto the direct TV internet access at one time for my satlelltie. but then would need to get a legitimate account and that will cost money, besides comcast is jacking me enough $$$ a month as it is now. maybe what you need if your out in the sticks....