Axle nut size.. 93 Grand Am

You guys and gals are always so helpful so hopefully someone here knows this... :) Just need the nut size (like 30, 32, 36mm) for the CV shafts for a 93 Grand Am. 2.3L engine, auto trans in it. The Pontiac stealer gave me grief on the phone for asking because I wouldn't pay $600+ for the shaft from them vs $70 for a lifetime replacement warranty *new* one from an auto store and "couldn't look it up for me". Don't have the larger sockets and don't want to buy 'em all to get the right size :) Thanks for any info folks...

I work at a GM dealership at the parts counter. If you are looking for the front wheel drive shaft nut it is

M20x1.5x21.8 hex lock, prevailing torq. If you pm me the last 8 of your vin # I'll find out for sure. If not I can give you a toll free line to call me at work and I'll help you out.

I hate parts guys that aren't willing to help out on the little questions but are your best friends when you want something expensive. I have been in the business for several years and I see it all the time, its bullshit. Either way let me know if I can help.

Thanks guys! I planned on checking on the new one with the axle (getting it tonight) but ya never quite know with aftermarket stuff. Banshee169, thanks a ton for the info also.. if you happen to know what socket fits that (I'm new to threads and sizes and etc) , that'd be perfect. Just don't want to get the thing torn apart and be like.. damn.. and have to waste like 4 hours till someone gets home from work and can drive me to the store for a different socket... and no, riding the shee there isn't an option ;)

I really wish I could tell you that but my catalogs dont give me that information. I would say just mic it and do the same to the socket I guess. If I can find out from my techs I will and I'll let ya know.

I asked my techs and they wouldn't know unless they had the car. You should be allright though when you get the parts.

I saw that you have the shift star mod, does that work well and is it worth the $$?

Sorta irked. Got a CV shaft for it but lo and behold, it came w/o a nut. Go figure! At least they knocked a couple of bucks off the price. Stopped at 4 parts stores and nobody had a clue, and nobody else had a CV shaft in stock that i could check it with. Blahhhhhhhhh... talk about silly! Oh well. To add insult to injury, I rolled into the Murray's parking lot (always had good luck w/ them) at 8:51 (they close "at" 9) and this guy hurried out and locked the door before I could get in. I looked at my watch, raised my hands in the "WTF?" expression.. he just looked at me and walked inside. Grrrrr... heh oh well.