new air filter and box delete jetting

jetting kit's are a waste. You pay 45 bucks for what they think will jet your carb perfectly. They usually include one or two main jets and a couple pilot jets. Some come with a replacement needle. They may work with just a stock motor with pipes, but they can't take into consideration one person may run with the airbox lid on and the other with the lid off, or maybe clamp ons, let alone different reeds, carbs, etc. Half the time, the jets they include aren't even correct for the application they're intended for anyway. We get a lot of people who jet with a kit and come ask us why it doesn't run well.

There is no way to jet a carb perfectly except for trial and error, and some plug reading. Your much better off to get a baseline, say from one of us, and then buy the jets you need and make jetting changes to dial your machine in. This way, you have several different jets in the area your motor is set up for that you can use to adjust and dial in, and you only buy what you need, not a whole "kit". You can usually get what you need for a lot less than a whole jet kit.

Tell us what your mods are and elevation, and we'll give you a baseline that will get you close. Then, you will have to take it the rest of the way and run some plug chops do your final adjustments that way. You will still have to do this with a jet kit. I know some people don't but that is the correct way to do it.

For more info on jetting read BenBB's Jetting FAQ. It will give you an idea on what it takes to jet your machine. For buying individual main jets, pilot jets and such, I recommend either CarbParts.com or MagicRacing.com.

Edited by sredish

Thanks for the great response. Yes thats what i wanted, a baseline so i could get the ballpark...buy a few jets and see what works. Main problem is I dont know where to get jets.

So lets start with this: sea level. 70-80 degrees. Stock 04 banshee with pro design air filter adapter and cone. no lid. Whaddaya think i need?

Im guessing the stealership is the only way to go to get jets. Which im sure when i ask for em theyll look at me blankly and say they dont stock them.

For buying individual main jets, pilot jets and such, I recommend either CarbParts.com or MagicRacing.com.

Check those places, although the pilots are different and you might only be able to get those at the dealer, but carbparts might have them too, don't remember. Most dealers will carry jets, some carry a lot, and some only carry a few, but they should have some. It's usually a little cheaper to get them from the places mentioned above, but for a couple jets, that might only be a few bucks. I'd probably try the stealer first for the three jets mentioned below.

Well, I'm not sure what mains you have in there stock, could be a 210, or 220. You should only go up a size or two on the main with just adding the pro-flo kit. I'd try a 230, that should work for the main and you shouldn't need to mess with the needles or pilots. You might buy a 220 and a 240 if you want in case. If you have a 220 in there, then just take it back when your done.

One thing about the banshee, every single one is a little different. One machine may run a 300 with pipes, and a machine modded exactly identical may like a 280, so that's why trial and error is so important, they all like it a little different.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Later.

Edited by sredish