Octane Booster

Octane booster is a big myth that most dont understand the workings of. The labels on boosters are misleading in reading. If you contact the manufacturer they will tell you the truth most of the time, which is far from what the label leads you to believe.

I talked to someone that used to work at a gas manufacturing plant and he set me straight along with some informed reading on the net.

Octane booster generally reads that it bumps your octane lets say 3 points okay. Well that would lead you to beleive that they mean 3 whole points right. Wrong it means that it bumps your octane .3 points, yep that's right add the decimal in front not behind.

Mix your own octane booster. Most boosters are tolulene based. Get the formula and mix tolulene with gas in the right formula and instant octane booster. A gallon of tolulene run about $7-9 where im at. Do some research and you'll find a lot of information on it.

So if I add a gallon of Toulene or a gallon of Xylene to 5 gallons of 92 I can get 96.7 or 97 octane respectively?

Has anyone tried this?

I was brave enough to switch to 80:1 premix but I don't know if I'm man enough to add paint thinner to my premix. :whoa:

I've been meaning to try it but have not mixed up a batch yet. I was going to try mixing it for my truck to get a little more octane to tun with the nitrous that we just installed. Not many topics in here on it, but i've been to several car web sites that talk about it. Mostly for turboed cars and guys from California that cant get the good octane at the pump like some folks can. I may try it in th truck first, the banshee seems to be running good on pump 93 for now. Although compression is border line on running a little more octane. If anyone does try it let me know. And if I do i'll post some info on the results and how it worked.

Hey mix whatever you want but be carefull and read and understand what the warning labels say. Some of those solvents are very toxic and can be absorbed directly through your skin. Years ago I sold Moroso octane booster and it was some good shit. Then they changed the formula because they had so many problems with the toxicity of it. Needless to say it wasn't as good after they changed it. :shootself:

If your gonna put octane booster in your shee.....they make a specific octane booster that is only octane booster and without all that added stuff to clean the jets and such. I know they sell it at the dealership near me.

They sold this other stuff in little bottles in this little shop in WV, and my buddy had to run it in his 280lb compression 250R motor after he had to swap that one in because he lost 3rd in his other motor.

Adding Toulene sounds pretty interesting.....if anyone tries it, let us all know

Well several of the posts I read and after talking to my motor builder. Who also happened to recommend this to me just said to add and extra ounce of oil to a 5 gallon can I believe due to the cleaning properties of the Tolulene. Weedeater runs good on it, and its a two stroke!

Well several of the posts I read and after talking to my motor builder. Who also happened to recommend this to me just said to add and extra ounce of oil to a 5 gallon can I believe due to the cleaning properties of the Tolulene. Weedeater runs good on it, and its a two stroke!

That sounds a little too "seat of the pants" for me.

an oz of what kind of oil? The link says tranny oil, some guys would say premix oil. Some of us are running 24:1 Kmart lube and some are 100:1 full synthetic. I'd need a little more info than add an oz.

Can you ask him if there's any science to his add an oz. method?