Starting Problems

Having starting problems...now its causing happiness problems. :( We are new to the ATV area and after 6 weeks of having lots of fun :D we have a problem. My sons Banshee will not kick start--he tells me there is no "compression" but we can push him or pull him and it starts and runs fine. Took the kick starter out and all looked well (we are waiting for a repair manual). Any suggestions? I am getting really tired of having to pull him around to get going...good thing mom has a "tow truck"--Kodiak 4X4!!! Any suggestions are welcomed!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WELCOME to BHQ.

It sounds like he may be right when he says there's no compression. Might be good to tell us what the compression actually is and any modifications that have been done to the quad. Alot of people say that Banshees have reliability issues but the best way to keep them going is to do a regular compression check. So if you don't have a compression tester, invest in a good one while you are waiting for the manual {really first and best investment}.

To test the compression, you will need to remove the spark plugs, screw in the tester, hold the throttle wide open and kick until the needle doesn't go any higher. repeat with the second cyl. If it is 100 or less or there is more than a 10% difference between the 2, you will need to do a top end job. Some will say just to do the rings to improve compression but I have found that to be a waste of time and money since the cylinder is worn and the new rings are expected to bridge the gap.

Anyways... let us know that stuff above and we'll do everything we can to help you out.

Thanks for the advice on where to start.

Mods on his quad: Full Toomey T-5 pipe kit, Uni Air Filter(s), MotionPro Twist Throttle and idle kit, I believe that is the pertinent info. We bought his quad used and we were told it was set up for racing--all I know is he goes fast and leaves me behind easily. We will be purchasing the compression tester tomorrow and will work on it Monday & Tuesday (clean and repair days) and we will go from there. Once again--Thanks!!!

Plugs are good. Question--torsion spring looks like it is sprung--when compared with a picture (link below) of a spring on "bansheezone" it is not wound as tight, there are gaps. The white spacer also appears to be worn. Havent made it to town to get the compression tester. I'm looking to you "guys" for answers. My husband has a 2001 Banshee and it is working fine--tried to talk him into taking both apart and comparing banghead does this sound like a reasonable thing to do? Thanks. nuts

http://www.thebansheezone.com/Bansheezone/KickStarter.htm

It will start if we push/pull start...just won't start with the kick starter. When he tries to kick start the engine makes a buputtputt noise...but not "hearty enough to start". Hope that makes sense...my husband just told me Yes...the kick starter turns the motor over. nuts

I would think it is either low compression or weak spark. As a reference my wifes shee has 105psi in each cylinder. This is low but the bike starts right up everytime...you can even start with your hand! Now mine has 145psi each cylinder and wouldn't start at all without a pull a while back. The problem on mine was a weak spark. New cdi and it fires right up! My guess is it's electrical since it worked fine for six weeks? Having two bikes it should be easy to swap components. Hope this helps. Jason

yea do a plug test, take the plugs out of the the head, put the caps on em, place the metal piece of the plug onto the head, and kick, you will either see a thick blue spark, a weak spark or none at all, and that'll tell ya if u have good spark

OK will get the compression test done-hope to have the numbers by tomorrow evening....was taking it apart tonight and found big cracks(actually see inside the tubes) on the rubber piece where the boost bottle is connected to the intake manifold. I know that will need to be replaced--what problems would a malfuntioning boost bottle cause??? I think its time to ask the boss for a raise!!!thanks--nuts

Hey Nuts, wish my wife was as interested in quads...

Could just be that you found your problem.

....was taking it apart tonight and found big cracks(actually see inside the tubes) on the rubber piece where the boost bottle is connected to the intake manifold

This would cause a major lean condition and I suggest you don't ride the bike without replacing the boots.

Not too many boost bottle fans on the HQ, they don't do much except for eye candy, and besides, they put added stress on the rubber boot. My personal opinion is to go back to the stock cross-over tube, this will relieve the stress on the boots and clear up some much needed maintenance space in that area.

Please post back and let us know the results of the comp. test etc.

OK will get the compression test done-hope to have the numbers by tomorrow evening....was taking it apart tonight and found big cracks(actually see inside the tubes) on the rubber piece where the boost bottle is connected to the intake manifold. I know that will need to be replaced--what problems would a malfuntioning boost bottle cause??? I think its time to ask the boss for a raise!!!thanks--nuts

Now that you found these cracks I almost wish you didn't get it started. This is a major problem. The best way to fix a boost bottle is to take the boost bottle off and place it in your right hand. Move your right hand and arm up and back over your right shoulder. Face the nearby field and sharply move your arm forward releasing the boost bottle when your hand is even with the horizon.

If you are in an urban setting, drop it in the recycle bin with the other useless cans.

You will need new intake boots. This will usually require new gaskets and the reeds will be exposed when the boots are off. So clean the entire area of even minute particles of anything that could get into the engine.

You can get high quality aftermarket boots but like anything else they ain't cheap. There are probably some guys here that have a decent set laying around that they could sell for a good price. While you're shopping, get a digital camera so you can post pics of this stuff. It' alot easier to help when we can see what you see.

Sounds to me like you might have gotten a bad apple. Not quite rotten but not as good as they might have lead you to believe.

What year is it and how much did you pay? Where do you live?

just a thought that hasn't been brought up yet, and something to consider before diving into a lot of $$ and work. have you had the carbs off for any reason lately? a very popular mistake is to get the carb bowls mixed up. the left carb bowl has the "starter jet" in it, and must stay on the left carb or you can kick her till your foot turns blue, and shee won't start. but it will start if pulled. if you haven't had them off, and it started fine b4, then it's something else. but just for future reference, if you look in the "tube" molded on the inside of the bowl, you'll see a small jet at the bottom leading to an opening into the bowl. the rt side bowl doesn't have the jet or the opening in it. hope you get it fixed up. B)

Holyman--the bottle has been discarded. I have pictures of the holes in the intake boots--not little ones (I just have to figure out how to get them here to be viewed). We did a compression test and we only got 60 (right) and 50 (left) on the other. Not sure how true that reading is since we have other problems we are dealing with. Getting ready to remove the heads and check the gaskets for what they think might be an overheating problem (bike was shooting/steaming out the bottom end last hard ride we did). The bike is a 2000, $3400 and we live in S Cal (desert--nothing pretty). I called for prices on the boots and cross over tubes and it is going to be about $60...does that seem right??? Thanks for everyones help--I love this place.