Ported Pistons

this is from vito's tech.

What's the difference in the Power Piston, And the Super Stock Piston?

Our line of pistons Power Or Super Stock work to add power by simulating that the ports in your cylinder are larger and timed differently which really means ported without the hassle. The difference between the two is on the exhaust side of the piston, the Super Stock is notched on the dome next to the port to theoretically raise the port, which will raise the rpm range of the engine and develop more power. So choose accordingly Power Pistons = low to mid rpm power increases. The Super Stock= Mid to top increases. You can use these pistons in Ported Cylinders but the exhaust height needs to be known for the Super Stocks, on the Banshee you do not want to be less than the height of 28 mm or 1.10236 inches from the top of the exhaust port to the top of the bore, On the Blaster the height should not be less than 31.5 mm or 1.240 inches. No special machining is required although checking your deck height of the cylinder to the piston and the squish clearance is always recommended.

Cast or Forged what should I use?

The main consideration is how are you going to use the piston? (Higher than stock rpm because of porting or pipe design, higher compression, more ignition timing?) Then the Forged piston is probably your best choice for it's toughness although they react differently to heat, They grow larger than cast pistons because of there molecular density so they require a little more room for skirt clearance, thorough engine warm up to avoid seizures and proper jetting on the rich side (If overheated sometimes even once they will lose there temper and slowly the skirt will collapse and eventually will fail). The cast piston is king in the affordability and durability department if used in the realm of stock porting and rpm ranges, it is a hard material that resists swelling from heat and scuffing from dirt, But they don't like high compression, more skirt clearance than recommended (putting them in used bores that are egg shaped, they will rattle and sometimes fail rather quickly as opposed to the forged). So they will need a little more concern than forged if used in this environment.

All piston prices are in our advertising and on the web www.vitosperformance.net and range in kit form pricing from $125-$234

I have always been a fan of forged pistons,but not of there need for extra bore clearance.

IMO they sound like death when there cold.Only after there warmed up do they quiet down.

Unfortunately there the best choice for severe duty applications(i.e dragging duneing etc)

But for trail riding and the weekend warrior(mild motors),I would recommend a good cast piston.

I've got about 60 hours on my 01' and it still has about 135 psi with a .025 milled head/+4 timing,not bad for original rings and pistons.It all depends how you take care of your machines.I can't diss the cast piston cause its held up on my shee.

Edited by Nightrider

When I got pistons Wiseco made 2 styles for my banshee, the regular pro-lites and the "racers choice". The Pro-Lites are a one size fits all type of piston porting (windows in the sides of the piston, bottom of skirt notched to clear intake ports at TDC). The racers choice is designed to be cut for your specific porting job.

I haven't tried Vitos pistons personally but i don't like the idea of altering the shape/size of the piston to change power characteristics or compression. That's what porting is for on a 2 stroke. I decided to get the Wisecos and have them matched to my engine by my builder. I also had them triple ceramic coated which is working really well so far. It's a high-temp coat on the crown, an anti-friction coat on the skirt, and... some other type of coating on the inside of the skirt/crown area, lol.

• 2 years later...