Work

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The highest voltage I've worked with is 4160 but prefer to keep it under 277/480.

Just for curiositys sake.....How many amps are we talking at 4160 volts? Thats a lot of voltage...even at one amp thats over 5.5 HP. :whoa:

It depends on the size of the equipment being fed how many amps it will draw. The 4160 volts I was working with was feeding several Large pumps roughly the size of a cube van that were rated at 1000 HP and were designed to feed the cooling water for a natural gas turbine. If you were standing near them when they started, they hair on your arms and head would stand on end. :o

Edited by dnhyoung

The highest voltage I've worked with is 4160 but prefer to keep it under 277/480.

Just for curiositys sake.....How many amps are we talking at 4160 volts? Thats a lot of voltage...even at one amp thats over 5.5 HP. :whoa:

It depends on the size of the equipment being fed how many amps it will draw. The 4160 volts I was working with was feeding several Large pumps roughly the size of a cube van that were rated at 1000 HP and were designed to feed the cooling water for a natural gas turbine. If you were standing near them when they started, they hair on your arms and head would stand on end. :o

4160 Volts running a 1000hp motor is drawing nearly 180 amps!!!!

Holy shit......that would ruin your whole day if you happened to touch something you weren't supposed to.

What size wire feeds those motors? Here there is an aluminum extrusion plant that I do work for that has 2 500 HP electric motors to run the hydraulics to press 7" billet through a die. 2 feet of 7" billet usually becomes about 200 feet of what ever it is they are extruding.

Edited by Cotton eyed Joe

IT was a while ago, but if I remember correctly, it was a 3-250 kcmil conductors with an 8k jacket. Roughly the size of your index finger with approximately 3/8 of insulating material then a shielding layer, then another 3/8 of insulation and then an outer jacket

Powerman

How far north do you travel? We are getting ready to install back-up generators in Hoopa and Happy Camp for a couple of our customers. I guess they are always having power outages in the winter that last several days to a week..

Tabshee....

I would definitely invest in SYMC stock. I've been here for years and it's already split twice in the last two years. We are expecting it to split here sometime in the near future. Last year end we did about 2bil and at the end of 07 were projecting to do about 5bil in business. I don't see this company ever going down. I'm actually getting my family to invest in this stock too. Good luck if you decide to!