Drag Rim Question

Cotton eyed Joe

I'm not heavy into the drag racing scene yet, but I have a chance to offer custom cut front drag rims (10 x 2). My question is, are these a popular item, or is it something that only appeals to a select few?

My main concern is buying a set of blanks, cut them, and then find out that they aren't that big of a seller and most people just run a Douglas rim or something and I'm stuck with them. If they are an item that most drag racers use, I'm pretty sure I can beat the price I was quoted from a couple of places for a design cut rim.

Another question is are there any saftey specs called out by any racing association? Such as thickness of spokes etc?

Thanks.

Edited by Cotton eyed Joe

im sure you could cut them and advertise on Jr Dragster sites along with sites like this and sell them, yeah smaller tires are less friction on the track but they are kindof expensive. you might sell them though. do a couple and throw some advertisement out and see how they do, hell put them on ebay too!

anything lighter than somthing else us drag racers like anything that looks good and is lighter we love lol !!!

Thanks for the quick replys guys.....

I'll see what I can do....

Heres' what I have done so far today.

Way back in the day, about 3 years ago I made custom rims for the T-Maxx...long story short, my distributor stole about 10 of my personal designs and cut me out completely. Since then, I've wondered what the hell I'm going to do with the 100hrs+ of CAD time I had in these designs. Well today I tried scaling one of my designs into a 10" rim, actually into about a 9" diameter to leave a little more material around the outside of the rim, and the damn thing fit in there perfectly. I took a few hours and trasferred about 10 different designs into a "master" rim. All I have to do now is get the cash, the proper tooling and jigs, and the balls to cut a set.

I'll keep you all posted I guess!!!!

Oh, and thanks for the Jr. Dragster idea....they are big out here, and my inlaws do quite a bit of work on Jr. Dragster engines as well as real dragster engines.

Well Id be glad to pay you for a demo set,LOL hook me up, I need them for sand, 17,18,or 19 inch tire should work fine

I won't be able to offer them with the rubber.....

I don't know what most people prefer for what they ride. I know that the asphalt guys use a scooter tire, but I have no idea other than that. lol.

ill take a set,gimme some info

LOL no info yet. As far as I know I will have at least 10 different designs, but I have yet to aquire a set of blank rims. I may or may not be able to here in the near future. Kind of depends on how stuff goes in the next week or so. I'm working on another DDI part, and its going to take some cash to get it off the ground.

And what "other" part might that be??

I'm hoping to get a set of brake rotors (fronts and rears) cut with some of those very designs I mentioned a couple posts back. I have to cut a test piece on my mill this weekend and if it works out, then have them laser cut, then blanchard ground. I have to source some high carbon stainless though....

Oh, and I might be getting that bender in the next month or two btw, so I'll start on designing that wheelie bar. I might have an idea on adjustability, but damn, getting it to where the threads on the adjusting part don't get buggered is going to take some research. I might have it though....I'll just have to make one and beat the shit out of it on the pavement in front of my shop.

:headbang:

• 3 weeks later...