Plug Check

Forget the mag. glass. Look here at the color on the strap and ceramic. That's about what you want. Although, here the plug was used so little that the outer ring is still shiny, when ran right, that will be the same color as the strap more or less. Mine is usually dark brown.

post-4-1082324838.jpg

Forget the mag. glass.  Look here at the color on the strap and ceramic.  That's about what you want.  Although, here the plug was used so little that the outer ring is still shiny, when ran right, that will be the same color as the strap more or less.  Mine is usually dark brown.

Is that after one 5-10 second WOT run? Did you warm the bike up with old plugs, then toss in that one strictly for the WOT check, then take it out?

Forget the mag. glass.  Look here at the color on the strap and ceramic.  That's about what you want.  Although, here the plug was used so little that the outer ring is still shiny, when ran right, that will be the same color as the strap more or less.  Mine is usually dark brown.

Is that after one 5-10 second WOT run? Did you warm the bike up with old plugs, then toss in that one strictly for the WOT check, then take it out?

That's actually not my plug. I put in a new set before I warm the bike up, when it's cold. Then I go and warm the bike and then run her. Some warm with the old plugs then swap and run the WOT. I personally feel it's good to warm the plug up and color properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a web based version of BenBB's jetting FAQ

To check for the 2mm ring (plug chop method, not just reading plug color) at the base of the plug I throw in a new set of plugs and then run it up through the gears at WOT and pull 6th for several seconds, pull in the clutch and shut it down.

run it up through the gears at WOT and pull 6th for several seconds, pull in the clutch and shut it down.

By doing that, do you risk welding the clutch ball to the rod? :unsure:

Why? Your not slipping the clutch like on take off, your only pulling the clutch in and shutting it down....