Polishing Metal

kotin6

I want to start pollishing my stuff but i dont know how. I know some of you on here do your own stuff and was wondering if you could let me know some cheeper tools and stuff i could buy to start with. I want to pratice on my old throtle cover and a few other parts then move on to my clutch case and startor cover maybe my juggs but i have no idea how to do i or what i need.

we manufacture cnc aluminum parts for motorcycles where i work. the way we polish it with a bench grinder motor, a buffing wheel, and polishing compound. you want to sand the part smooth, get out any nics and dings too because polishing will magnify these and look like crap. and try to sand the grain going in one direction, say vertically or horizantally, this makes polishing come out better. they you want to find some scotch-brite and follow the grain with that. then put plenty of polishing compound on the buffing wheel and polish away. you want to keep the wheel"open" meaning after some polishing time, the wheel will start to get a coating on it, and start to get solid, which will make it harder to polish, you cna use a comb or something to break it open when its running.