Head Plaining?

madden

I shaved my head .030" not too long ago and runs fine on 93 octane. I have not advanced my timing but from what I have heard/read you should be safe on pump gas.

Now I have a question about increased compression and spark plug heat range...

Anybody here shave their head or used smaller domes and have to go to a colder plug???

I shaved the head and installed a set of PTR mids....plugs have a chocolate color to 'em so I feel the jetting is good but I notice on the electrode or ground strap of the plugs the carbon is burnt back past the strap's bend. This leads me to think the plug may be too hot because I heard the carbon should be burnt back before the bend or in that region.

Any thoughts? I'm runnin BR8ES now. Should I try a colder plug like a BR9ES?

Any thoughts?  I'm runnin BR8ES now.  Should I try a colder plug like a BR9ES?

I wouldn't play with your plugs.

That carbon and soot is jetting not plug heat. Your mods won't have the need for a change in plug heat. If it's running good, leaving it alone might be the best thing.

Colder plugs can help reduce detonation problems but they dont self clean as well unless your WOT all the time. Under normal conditions they get more carboned coated than a regular plug and don't ignite the fuel quite as well. Unless detonation was an issue I would run the regular B8ES.

Thanks guys, I'll run the BR8ESs and as always check 'em every so often. The shee runs fine and see no signs of detonation but just wanted to make sure. I am aware of running a colder plug will tend to load up more but if there was a detonation problem I would rather replace plugs more often than the top end.

br9s are a hotter plug. i think?

With NGKs the higher the number the colder the plug.