Flywheel Wont Come Off

a6079c

i have my flywheel nut off and i have a banshee flywheel puller, but the flywheel is not just popping off? in the manuel it says not to apply too much presure to the puller. im applying over 30 lbs and it is still not popping off. im worried about striping the threads on the flywheel puller and hurting the flywheel. who much is too much? how easy should it pop off?

thanks,

andy c

ok.... i just tried that and it still wont come off. i think i might have created a problem. when i was taking off the flywheel nut, i was holding the brake while in 6th gear, the wheels did not turn BUT the flywheel and the nut turned a fraction of a turn without getting loose. that didnt feel right. i ended up using a drum brake tool to hold the flywheel and that worked perfectly. after the flywheel and the nut turned without getting loose, i started up my shee and it started fine.....is it possible to sheer the key while trying to remove the nut? if so would that cause my flywheel to not want to come off?

thanks,

andy c

Don't know why you used 6th gear.... Could have used first. Would have worked better. ANyways, an impact works great for getting the nut off. And then, the tapping method will eventually loosen the peskiest of flywheels. And starting the bike without the flywheel torqued down is an absolute NO-NO!!!! :shootself: That is asking for the key to shear and really ruin your day when it takes out the crank!!!!! banghead

Just took mine off for the first time (had my quad 2 months) 2 days ago. Ran into the same problem. Ended up tapping it a bit and putting some good elbow grease into the wrench I was using on the puller. It eventually popped and gave. The tap trick works.. and it just takes some good OOMPH!

didnt start engine with the flywheel loose, started it after i thought i stripped something. i wrote that out of order in my last post....sorry bout that. have everything together now and it looks right. if the flywheel is seated on the crank does that mean the key is in right and if not is there a way to tell if it is in right? the key seemed to shift every time i tried to put the flywheel on.

andy c