Using Cheap Plugs For Jetting.

Nighty

Lo guys,

I have a K&N powerlid and normal airfilter on the way,

and id like to do some jet tests after i install the K&N stuff.

Can i use cheap plugs for the jetting?

What i am planning to do is:

let the shee run idle for 10 minutes on a fresh pair of cheap spark plugs. and check the color.

put in a fresh pair of cheap plugs again and cruise around at half trothle.

check color

put in fresh pair again and do a WOT test.

check color.

lots of plugs ;)

Thanks for any advice or comment.

ill do a plug hack after my first real day of abuse.

Use the B8ES/BR8ES for jetting. Don't use a cheap lawnmower plug or something, I've seen plenty of guys doing that. Thats the standard plug for the banshee and will give you good accurate readings. Any different than that, and you could be getting wrong readings, or something weird. You need to use what is recommended for the bike. Other than that, have at it, and good luck. B)

I reckon if youre REALLY in a bind & can't afford new plugs, you should at least use old B8ES/BR8ES. Not too sure what you mean 'bout cheap plugs, but it doesn't sound good.

Clean the old plugs best you can, especially around the base of the white insulator, & make sure the engine's warmed up before you put the clean plugs in.

I.M.O. you should try to use new plugs, at least for the W.O.T. test.

I don't bother using plug test for idle or middle throttle openings. I don't believe in it. I only test my quad at wot for plug readings for the mains...Adjust the needles and pilots by feel...YOu can notice more difference then the mains, so its not that hard...

I agree with banchetta, tune the bottom end to run the best, quickest throttle responce, smoothest idle, goes into the band the snappiest, then do a plug chop for the WOT test on the mains, and perform a plug chop, dont just observe the plug color. I think B8ES are a little cheaper than BR8ES and work fine for 99% of riding conditions, although I can't speak from experience, stay away from high voltage lines with the B8ES.

I always thoguht the resistor plugs prevented interfernece cause by the plug, not stoped interference form affecting the plug...?!?

the resistor prevents interference to other objects. The plugs run identical. If you don't have the resistor, for instance, it could interfere with tv reception, and I believe some ignitions require the use of a resistor.