Keeps Fouling Plugs

joshp66

alright i have a 98 shee all stock accept for K&N with airbox lid off, i never used to foul plugs until i put the k&N on i run 40:1 mix and it smokes bad , i took of the lid to try and lean it out but nothing happens, all stock jets and im at sea level , what should i do?? it also has a slight bog off idle.

You need to go up on the main jet size and possibly the pilot but it sounds more like a clogged filter or something since stock jetting should make it run realy lean with the K&N. Lean conditions shouldn't foul a plug. Did you buy the filter new? Someone may have used the wrong filter oil for it. Foam filter oil will clog it up. I would clean it and apply K&N oil on the filter (the spray stuff) so you will know the filter is flowing air correctly. You can get a K&N filter cleaner and oil kit for $10 at any auto parts store.

240 mains, stock needle clip, stock pilots....I think you just need to adjust the air screws...they make a big difference, especially w/ stock pipes...you should have a crisp throttle response..I always had a hard time not fouling plugs w/ stock pipes, put pipes on and never fouled another plug....

I've never heard of anyone running leaner pilots than stock which is a 25. Your elevation must be really high.....The best way to dial in the mains is to run it wide open in 6th gear for 5-10 seconds, shut it down, pull the plugs and see what color they are......go from there....as for the pilots, try some 22.5's...either that or get some pipes and that'll lean it out..

• 2 weeks later...
yeah i wish i had the money to do that, but until i need to fix this crap i go through plugs like i go through underware it sux, ill try the 240 mains then mess with it from there i guess, but wouldnt that make it richer? and im too rich alredy

If your fouling plugs at idle, then the mains are not going to do one thing. Period. If your having trouble idling, then it's the pilot/airscrew. What is your elevation???? If it's really high then you might back off just a little. The ONLY way to check the main is the wide open throttle test. DO NOT go messing with the main until you check the plugs at wide open throttle to verify that they actually need messing with.

Cool, take it easy.

Scott